Numbers puzzle

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Seven13

Numbers puzzle

Post by Seven13 »

Hi all, Canada calling after a fairly long absence from the forum. My Matchless CS is 99% complete, and an article will be submitted for Jampot, but before doing so perhaps some of our learned brethren can help solve a numbers question. As can be seen by the attached pic the engine number is 58/G12 05998, club records show the bike was completed and tested on 11/11/57, shipped to Firth's in Canada on 18/11/57 tested by Bob Regan. The dating certificate from the club shows it was a 648c.c, not a 646. There is the mystery. Is this possibly a Cooper specced motor, as '57 was in the midst of the export or die period? Thoughts would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: Numbers puzzle

Post by dave16mct »

For 58 export 646cc one year only. See Don Madden's description in the Tech Articles. You seem to have 60-0n heads and 60-on duplex frame.
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I know zilch about twins but shouldn't the engine number have 'CSR' after the number G12?
There was a 1964 G12CSR of 648cc on sale here:

G12CSR 648cc.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dave16mct wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:26 am For 58 export 646cc one year only. See Don Madden's description in the Tech Articles. You seem to have 60-0n heads and 60-on duplex frame.
Dave.
A bit more background here, esp re. duplex frame as Dave mentioned:
https://www.motorcyclenews.net/tag/retr ... ws/page/6/
G12CSR USA.JPG
Seven13

Post by Seven13 »

As with any basket case, this one languished for many years under a bench, who knows the what and why of how the bits came together. Club records show the frame to be a CSR, the engine as you can see is a '58 G12, what happened to the original frame and engine that go with what I have will forever be a mystery. However, it would certainly appear that the parts as delivered to me the owner(s) previous to the gentleman i bought it from used it as a CS.
Seven13

Post by Seven13 »

As a picture is worth 648 words here is the almost finished project in CS format. An article for Jampot will be submitted in due course. Not correct in many areas I am sure, but this is what it arrived at in boxes.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Well done, you've made a lovely job of that. I'm sure you're going to have some great rides too! I'm looking forward to your article in the Jampot.
Dave.
les ward

Post by les ward »

As I understand it, the 1958 (N America only) 650s were created by changing the position of the gudgeon (wrist) pin to enlarge the capacity and these pistons only fit those specific bikes. Otherwise they were virtually the same as the 600s. The 1959 650s had newly designed barrels, heads and pistons. This might explain the difference between the stated 646cc and 648cc.
Barrels, heads and pistons changed again for 1960 and it looks like you have these fitted now.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

I never understood the gudgeon pin position discussions...Surely this makes no difference to the swept volume (capacity) of the cylinder ?
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I don't recall seeing any official factory documentation (e.g. Posters, Adverts, Owners or Workshop manual) stating 648cc, only third party adverts/editorial and on the OP's V5 (which perhaps was a mistake by the clerk who produced that document. :? )