Carburettor choice

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
leobailey

Carburettor choice

Post by leobailey »

I run a 1959 G3 with an original Monobloc Carb, Starting is quite variable despite everything being OK with this carb, and I am currently considering switching to a concentric or even a Japanese carb. Performance is NOT my primary concern I rarely cross 55mph on it. My main concern is the ease of starting, idling and slow/medium running. Comments and suggestions welcome (and suitable jetting's)
Keeping it totally original is of low importance to me, but making it more useable is very important. Thanks for any comments.
jackstringer

Re: Carburettor choice

Post by jackstringer »

Carbs have a limited life. If its worn out then just buy a new one.

You can change it for some jap stuff but you might find getting help to make it run harder to source.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

A new standard concentric is a lot less expensive than a new monobloc... but they seem in short supply at Burlen whereas the premier concentric seems more readily available, dearer but still less than a monobloc.
My understanding from when I have spoken to Burlen is conversion from monobloc to concentric is keep everything the same except main jet which is reduced by 20%.
Last edited by Joker_Bones on Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy.S

Post by Andy.S »

Hi
I have a friend that has used a wassel copy concentric carb with good results and they are slightly cheaper than a AMAL one.
https://www.classicmotorcyclespares.com ... eries.html