AMAL 376/78

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
DerekAJS30

AMAL 376/78

Post by DerekAJS30 »

I'm looking for one ! - I've now found that my recently purchased AJS model 30 has the wrong carb so i would like to locate a body and throttle slider. I will rebuild it anyway and can swap parts from the current carb if necessary. Must be cheap !!!
The bike currently has a 376/253 which is sort of OK but has the wrong throttle slider i believe. Best to get it right if i can, especially if someone has the correct item gathering dust.
SPRIDDLER

Re: AMAL 376/78

Post by SPRIDDLER »

DerekAJS30 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:39 pm
The bike currently has a 376/253 which is sort of OK but has the wrong throttle slider i believe.
A cheap s/h carb may already be knackered. Owners rarely replace good carbs.

It's my understanding that the numbers (e.g. 253) after the 376/ refer to how the carb is set up; jets, needle & throttle slide, so you need only replace the slide and other necessary parts with the correct ones available from Burlen here:

https://amalcarb.co.uk/monobloc-series/376-series.html
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Post by Groily »

The archives list 376/58 for M30 - see http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/car ... nd_use.pdf
If the one you have has a 1" bore and it's not so knackered that a slide flops around like a sausage in the Mersey tunnel, you might be OK with a decent #4 cutaway slide and the other bits per the specs shown. The actual numbers stamped on the thing don't matter a whole lot as they just refer as often as not to jetting etc. If you've got slides which are already a good fit but wrong cutaway, then they can be tweaked (usually) to serve quite well (1/16" height more per '1/2' size up on the cutaway iirc - or (EDIT) is it 1/32" on reflection? It's out there somewhere anyway).
But honestly and truly, if it's past it, there's no substitute for a new one, despite the investment required.
Last edited by Groily on Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DerekAJS30

Post by DerekAJS30 »

Thanks guys. Good advice.
DerekAJS30

Post by DerekAJS30 »

A new one is £300 but on the other hand it is £75 ish for the repar kit. Probably £50 for a new slider. So maybe a new one is the right option. I will wait and see if someone in the club sees my request and offers me a new one that was purchased by accident and never used.

Derek's little fantacy world is i nice cosy place !!
Groily

Post by Groily »

If the 'sort-of' OK one on there works 'sort of' or a bit better even, then you could check what the slide actually is as a first move? If it's 'wrong', then nothing to lose by tweaking it with a file on the base, checking /fitting the correct pilot, needle and main jets (30, 260 (no air filter) and .106, 'C' needle on middle groove) and see how it works. You might find you can live without the 300 squid hit, for a while at least, while you figure out what else you're going to want to do with the new toy and assess priorities . . .

OTOH, sometimes fantasies do materialise!