1949 model 18 rear number plate

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

1949 model 18 rear number plate

Post by Invicta »

Hi , I wonder if any club members have an original number plate as fitted to 1949 models that they could let me have a photograph of. I have got a later one that has the ridge to match up with the 1950 and onwards ridged mudguards, but mine are plain. I have seen bikes with the plain guards and this ridged number plate fitted, but I think that the original one did not have the ridge. I would like to be able to drill the holes to fit one before the guard goes off to be powder coated. I did get another one off e bay but the curveture to fit the guard was wrong. Checking on the reg. no. this one came from a 1954 AJS , but I don't know which model. Thank you in advance. David
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1949 model 18 rear number plate

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There doesn't seem to be an illustration in the '49 factory Spares List and I can't swear that the one on my '47 Model 18 is correct but it only had one owner before me - an AMC dealer.
Here's a pic if it helps:
Number plate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thanks very much you for the photograph, it will give me something to work to. It is quite different from the 1950 one that I have, but the 4 hidden brackets that fix it to the mudguard are probably the same.
Rubicon

Post by Rubicon »

I am looking for one of these number plates, any ideas on sourcing one? Also mudguards or profile and dimensions for 1949 mudguards. if anyone can help?
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

I had the same problem and bought a set of Indian made mudguards. Don't make the same mistake as me . They are rubbish. I had to remove all of the brackets. Completely remake one of them. Fill in the original rivet holes and re fit the brackets in the correct places. They are also made in 3 long sections welded together and not rolled in one piece as original I will give you the dimensions of the rear mudguard when it comes back from the poder coaters. If you are prepared to forgo originality replacement number plates are available with the raised ridge that matches the 1950 onwards mudguards. This is what I did as I could not find an original for 1949. UK made plain mudguards are available but you will need to make up youyr own bracketery.