G3ls tank rubbers

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Morton

G3ls tank rubbers

Post by Morton »

hello I have a G3ls but it has never had the correct tank mounting rubbers and bolts which have since a few rides fallen out. parts list thin and thick rubbers? which are correct for this bike - 1958 model if it makes a differance
g80csp11

Re: G3ls tank rubbers

Post by g80csp11 »

see page 46 of spares list , both thick and thin are required

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... _twins.pdf
clive

Post by clive »

As Peter says it's well illustrated on page 46 of the spares list for your bike. I could not make husband link work so here is another archives.jampot.dk - /book/Spares_lists/ . You will need to scroll down to find your list. The illustration clearly shows what you need. Bolt spacer washer thin and thick rubbers. The spacer is to stop the bolt winding too far into and damaging the tank. The tank mounts on the frame are between the rubbers (thin below thick above). The late Rob H would have chimed in here to say the bolts should only just be nipped up, the bolts have a cross drilling in the head for thin wire to pass through so they can be linked. This stops the bolts undoing.
With my first G80 I failed to wire the bolts and whilst racing some twins on the way to my first Jampot at the Leisure Lakes near Liverpool (1980) one bolt vibrated out. The bike came to a sudden halt as the engine stopped. Removing the plug I found there was no gap so reset it and travelled about 100 yards before it stopped again. No gap. Removal of the head established the mounting washer had been sucked in through the carb, folded in half as it passed through the inlet valve and it then sat atop the piston occasionally shutting up the gap. For some years afterwards the carb mouth had the Gauze from a Woolworths tea strainer held on place by a hoseclip!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:22 am For some years afterwards the carb mouth had the Gauze from a Woolworths tea strainer held on place by a hose clip!
:thumbup:
For you that was an uncharacteristically elegant solution.
I'm surprised you didn't make do with one of your customary cheap bodges.
:rofl:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Well I could have gone to John Lewis but as you will see my post has already started panic buying.....
Screenshot_20231101_131953_Waitrose.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Does your tea taste of petrol now?
Dave