Always a reason

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ChrisTheChippy

Always a reason

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Been progressing slowly with the part recomission part rebuild of my csr. All the rolling chassis done now so my attention has turned to the engine which I have stripped down to the crank case but not separated the two halves. All the way through I have been thinking gearbox in great nick pistons barrels rings and bores in great nick no play in bearings . WHY has it been standing in a garage since 1974 ? In my experience bikes don't get left for years for no reason no matter what the previous owner says about it being a fantastic runner and all it needs is a rub over with an oily rag and it's good to go again .
Today I started cleaning up the crank cases and thought I would remove the drain plug let any old oil out and fit the magnetic drain plug from club spares and lo and behold I found the reason! The drain plug thread has been nicely stripped. To be honest i wasn't too shocked as I was waiting for THE REASON to appear and given the good condition of the rest of the engine i think i got away lightly.
I wonder has anyone else had a similar experience whether positive or negative.
Daft question probably everyone on this forum.
Be interested to hear those experiences although I'm probably cynical enough already !
MalcW

Re: Always a reason

Post by MalcW »

Don't get complacent though, it might not be the only reason...

To be fair though, sometimes it's just that a bike was laid up because the owner was no longer physically able to ride it, or they bought something newer/lighter/different etc. but didn't want to get rid of it.

Malc
ChrisTheChippy

Re: Always a reason

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Re reading my post it sounds like I'm having a major moan off ! I am actually glad to have the chance to recomission this bike and relieved to have found the reason why it was laid up in 1974.
At least I hope ive found the reason.......