Kick starter rubber

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Brian 54G80S

Kick starter rubber

Post by Brian 54G80S »

Hi,
can anyone advise the diameter of a standard G80S kick start foot peg?
I bought a rubber for mine and it split on installation and seems ridiculously tight which is causing me to think it may have a non standard foot peg fitted?
Thanks in advance.
Reynard24

Re: Kick starter rubber

Post by Reynard24 »

If your question refers to the Burman gearbox kickstart, your username and bike listed on your profile would tend to suggest this, then they were originally not fitted with one and a kickstart rubber is not listed in the ‘54 parts list.
Some very poor quality “closed end” Burman kickstart rubbers are available but they are very thin and tend to lose the end when used in anger. Some will fit over the end of the footpeg but are still very thin and others simply split when attempting to get them over the nub on the end of the peg.
The measurements on two of my Burman kickstarts are: 0.75” for the end nub and 0.575” on the footpeg shaft.
If you really want to fit a rubber, a good quality AMC kickstart rubber should fit and also a non-branded good quality Royal Enfield rubber don’t use the branded Royal Enfield types as these are too hard and will also split. Both of these are open ended rubbers, I don’t know of a good quality closed end type that will fit.
Brian 54G80S

Post by Brian 54G80S »

Thank you....very helpful. I did exactly what you describe...purchased a Burman copy rubber and it split while trying to negotiate the nub at the end.
The measurements are super helpful....mine is exactly the same so its not some sort of aftermarket bodge job. Ill try to find an open end AMC or RE rubber.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I have a rubber on mine but the end came off after a few kicks. But I have some lockwire on it just to hold what is left on the kickstarter. Otherwise I have had the odd slip and skinned my shin so I need that little bit of rubber to keep me safe.

Sooo many double entendre here
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Fnarr fnarr
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

The Burman in mine is the B52/GB one and I have a rubber fitted bought either from the Club or AMC Classic Spares.

I honestly can't be certain whether it is open or closed ended, I think the former. It sometimes "travels" a little but does make a difference on the slippage front, as Jack says.

Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Johnny B
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

In the past I have used a length of braid reinforced rubber tubing. I doesn't look wonderful but lasts for a while.
Remember that heating the rubber (or hose) in very hot water makes it a bit more pliable to get over the nub.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

I've always found kickstart rubbers to be more trouble than they are worth. I'll put one on, but when it disintegrates (fairly rapidly), it's not replaced.
I used to have a Royal Enfield KX twin. As befits the manufacturer of cycles as well, it had a bicycle crank and pedal as a kickstart. Wonderful -the only other bikes I've seen that on are H-Ds, jolly good idea.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Off topic, but I notice that I'm listed as joining in 2005. I joined in the mid 1970's. I'm clearing out at home and Linda was shocked when I showed her all the membership cards, earlier ones had provision for a sticker over the old year.

I haven't come across the combined rule book one though.

Johnny B