A question from Sweden

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Ybbe

A question from Sweden

Post by Ybbe »

What manufacturer does this piston have? Is it possible to buy piston rings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Re: A question from Sweden

Post by Joker_Bones »

Have a look inside...
IMG_20230724_110937.jpg
Is it marked AE?
Any numbers stamped on top?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Never seen holes like this in the skirt of the piston to this extent , as far as rings go yes you can get rings for original pistons (imperial size) and modern pattern pistons with metric rings
Does the piston have a manufacturers mark ie BHB , parts no etc that will identify what you have , but you will never find one with holes in skirt

If it was April 1st , id have thought a wind up
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

It's got holes in it!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I think you need to fumigate it, its Death Watch beetle! :D
Dave
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

AE casting marked pistons are Hepolite. The company was AE Auto Parts, the cylinder components brand at that time was Hepolite (which had been taken on with the acquisition of Hepworth & Grandage). Hepolite pulled out of all motorcycle pistons around 1990.
I know this for a fact, as when I joined AE as Range Analyst for Valves, I was interviewed by and reported to the man who had taken that decision! In a strange coincidence, I ended my career as Product Manager for Cylinder Components (pistons/rings/liners), but by the time it became my responsibility the Hepolite brand had been incorporated into the Nüral (pistons) and Goetze (rings) brand ranges.
If you clean the carbon from the crown, you should find a (most likely) five digit number, followed by STD, or the oversize. However, you are relying on finding old stock because as I said, the company has not made motorcycle pistons for 30 years (except for a few Triumph pistons, some of which I took out the range because they were no longer viable).
Like others have said; it shouldn't have them holes in it! Looks like an attempt at lightening to me....

EDIT: Just realised that it isn't your piston which was marked AE!
Ybbe

Post by Ybbe »

Thanks for all the help. I now understand that these holes are drilled for the purpose of lightening the piston and improving lubrication. I don't know if it worked, but I will buy a new piston and rings. But thanks for your help and sorry if my english is bad.
clive

Post by clive »

I wonder if someone increased the capacity from 350 to 500 and drilled the piston rather than rebalancing the crankshaft?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I thought that as well 🙂
huntshaded

Post by huntshaded »

clive wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:40 pm I wonder if someone increased the capacity from 350 to 500 and drilled the piston rather than rebalancing the crankshaft? mario games
I did so