1946 AJS ADVICE

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Ivan1603

Re: 1946 AJS ADVICE

Post by Ivan1603 »

Hello everyone
I just got into cleaning the battery case just to find out there was a tiny battery inside
I was thinking of getting the original acid but there so may comenta about the maintenance I was hopping is there is an alternative to lithium 6v I can use. At the moment I don’t want to convert to 12v a few people have recommended, if any one have a recommended replacement with lithium that will be great thanks. The more I look in to it the more overwhelming it gets and is just been a few weeks since I got the motorcycle
I am a novice in mechanics and motorcycle so I guess I will try to make sure it runs and then try to make it look nice again ( getting rid off rust).

So if any one can help
Me with a recommendation on 6v lithium battery will be great

AJS 1946. 46/18

If you need more info please let me know where to look for
Thanks
Sincerely
Ivan
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

I have this 1946 16M, it is a great bike and easy to work on once you learn a few basics.

Don’t bother converting to 12volts, it isn’t necessary. Your bike has magneto ignition, so the battery is only used for lights and horn. If you want better lights, simply convert headlight and taillight to LED.

Regarding the battery, if you can get access to a 3D printer I have published files to make a reproduction Lucas battery case which will take two modern 6v batteries, such as the Lucas LSLA4-6, see https://github.com/AJS-1946/16m/blob/ma ... 20Box2.JPG
Ivan1603

Post by Ivan1603 »

Thanks
For your response
Yes I just understood that the battery is just for the lights
I think living in California I will need to put signal lights
Since it is considered not street legal. I figured I will start by cleaning it and treat the rusty stuff as i learn about the bike. I still need to register here in California and for what I hear is not easy for old bikes. So I have plenty off time. Still need to take some classes on how to ride Motorcycles . As I am cleaning i am looking to see what needs to be replace or fix. And browsing the web for parts.

I don’t know if everything is original on thos AJS MOST OF THE 46 I see with rear chocks also I notice my AJS COMPARTMENT in position right under oil tank and most of the pictures I see compartment are on the top.

Battery
I was going for this Duracell SLAA6-14A. It is not lithium but I was hoping it will fit on the Lucas case it turn out they battery and case are same size. It says running time is 20h , And now with small solar chargers it would be a problem to just have it park at home an put the charger.

I like the old case so I will look for something that fits
Yes I did look for led 6v.

Love your motorcycle hope my turns out that why
I might do some change on the seats. For some reason the seat is smaller that the metal bracket I wonder if leather shrinks. I got a friend that works with leather and I was thinking of making seats rust brown instead of black.

So many this to work on but I need to focus on making it run first

Thanks again for your comments
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

Don’t know about California, but most countries have dispensations for old bikes for things such as indicators, you may find they are not needed on a bike as old as yours.

Regarding the toolbox position, you are correct that the 1 946 model had the toolbox in the high position, but many other years used the low position. My own bike uses the low position and I am in no rush to change it.

Regarding the saddle, the covers were not leather in the first place, and if you look carefully you can find good replacements made in India for quite cheap prices. Just check the measurements carefully before you buy as there are different sizes, search for a saddle cover that is the universal size, as the 46 AJS used the universal saddle that was standardised on for all War Department bike in the late stages of WWII. My saddle cover is an Indian one, and it was so cheap I figured if it didn’t fit I would just toss it away. When it arrived I was amazed that it was well made and fitted perfectly, so very happy as the old one was totally worn out.

Forget lithium batteries, they are not suitable for the dynamo and regulator you have.
Last edited by AndrewM on Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There's little benefit in changing to 12v and 6v flasher units are available for turn indicators. I have used a 6v 5Ah Cyclon gel battery in mine for the past 12 years without a problem. It's sealed so can be fitted in any orientation and will fit inside the Lucas battery box. You will need to fit a 10 amp inline fuse in one of the battery leads as the battery is capable of delivering a very high short circuit current.

Here's a link to a U.K. supplier which may help you find the same thing in the States.

https://www.allbatteries.co.uk/cyclon-b ... VQQAvD_BwE
2019-11-20 Burlen 6V 5Ah battery 001.JPG
2019-11-20 Burlen 6V 5Ah battery 009 (640x480).jpg
2019-11-20 Burlen 6V 5Ah battery 008.JPG

As I mentioned in a reply to your previous post you can download all the factory Owner, Workshop and spare parts manuals which are listed under 'Books' here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

and here is the factory brochure for your bike:

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... _color.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

this is what i use on my 46 , it fits in one of the dummy battery cases

https://www.allbatteries.co.uk/sealed-l ... p9018.html
Ivan1603

Post by Ivan1603 »

You guys are great
Thanks for your input I have learn a lot is such short time thanks to this community,

By the end of the month
I will be brave enough to remove first screw , my. It did a great job cleaning the bike. I was told I since all tanks are empty and rusted from inside I should clean them first and lubricate engine and check for spark and compression ( what ever that means). Baby steps for me on this subject
I hate leaks so I will check for leaks first afther I remove rust from tanks

I will try to post some pictures of the items that I see damage later this month

Thanks
Ivan1603

Post by Ivan1603 »

I think I am about 90% done removing all the debris from the motorcycle, Removed gas tank will new gaskets for sure and a mounting screw from front . Now I will work on removing rust from fins I hope is not to hard.

Found out the battery in compartment was a 6v 2ah it was like a 2”x3”

Picture in link are from the first day I got the AJS and how it looks now.

Between my son and I finished cleaning it today we think it turned pretty good considering how old it is.
So far is been fun
clive

Post by clive »

no image viewable. are you loading them properly? its quite a process. Click on full editor, scroll down to attachments, click on add files and choose your file, it has to be a JPG.
click on where you want it to appear then click on place inline.
img20200331_19153736.jpg
From an early club calendar probably about the same age as yours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Ivan1603

Post by Ivan1603 »

https://share.icloud.com/photos/05dtnzp ... VN14QVRV5Q

I am using I phone so I hope the link works
Picture is from first day I got AJS AND how it looks now.

Thanks for letting me know about pictures