1946 AJS ADVICE

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Ivan1603

Re: 1946 AJS ADVICE

Post by Ivan1603 »

https://share.icloud.com/photos/05dtnzp ... VN14QVRV5Q

I am using I phone so I hope the link works
Picture is from first day I got AJS AND how it looks now.

Thanks for letting me know about pictures
clive

Post by clive »

yes that has worked, very nice looking bike
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Expat

Post by Expat »

Could view the pics on my phone, great job so far Ivan. Were you going to polish up the crankcases? Just asking. :)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Ivan1603

Post by Ivan1603 »

Yes but first I want to remove rust from fins and then I will try to have some one help me go through the prices of making sure it starts then worry on making thing look nice
That will be most of my boy’s work :).

But yes polishing is on the list as painting fins once I figure out what is the appropriate paint. I am assuming it has to be heat resistant.

Do painted fins prevents engine from cooling less compare to just polished fins? Any advantages over painted and non painted?
Expat

Post by Expat »

Really don’t think there’s much difference re heat dissipation on our old chuffers, more just for looks. Paint will need to be heat resistant, some use bbq grill paint I believe. With some careful masking up work, could paint the pushrod tubes as well, would look good with freshly painted barrel.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ivan1603 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:26 pm But yes polishing is on the list as painting fins once I figure out what is the appropriate paint. I am assuming it has to be heat resistant.
Some suggestions in reply to the same question a couple of weeks ago although it refers to local products.
This thread:

viewtopic.php?t=30445
Any advantages over painted and non painted?
Only advantage is that a painted cylinder is less likely to go rusty.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Brian 54G80S

Post by Brian 54G80S »

Ivan,
I'm a new member also and I'm located in Australia.
Can't recommend becoming a full member highly enough! The folks on this forum are so helpful and have so much experience and knowledge. I have used both the dating service and the club parts shop, and both were fantastic experiences, even though I don't live in the UK.
Welcome to the world of AJS/Matchless.
Fantastic looking project you have there....tidy it up but keep it original and ride it often!
Ivan1603

Post by Ivan1603 »

Can some one share a picture where the tension springs for the rear break goes? I have try to zoom on pictures to try to figure out where the spring goes but is hard to see.

I notice is missing since brake doesn’t return to his place
I see different time of tension springs for the rear break
And I am trying to get the right one. I haven’t get the part number yet but I will love to see where it goes too to figure out how to install.

Thanks to all
I decided to become a member since everyone here is so nice, friendly, helpful and overall knowledgeable on the subject.

I am a visual person so pictures helps a lot when fixing stuff or videos :)

Also I am trying to figure out what kind of oil to buy
And there are so many answers and opinions on oils
Is clear for me to avoid synthetic for an old motorcycle and go to mineral oil. I asee a lot of comment on using 20/50
And I was looking at the YAMALUB 20w-50 4t all purpose motorcycle oil. I am doing the wrong choice? Or I am safe? It seems that oil is a broad category .

If any o e have a AJS 46/18. Will be gray if they charge they oils they use on their motorcycle

Thanks
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ivan1603 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:53 am
I see different time of tension springs for the rear break
And I am trying to get the right one. I haven’t get the part number yet but I will love to see where it goes too to figure out how to install.
Look at page 43 in the Parts List to find the part number. The Parts List is here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

Then go to club spares dep't and enter the brake spring part number 37-G3-B8 in the 'Search' box and you will get the part, which is this:

https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=21252

Also I am trying to figure out what kind of oil to buy
And there are so many answers and opinions on oils
You have obviously seen that there are many dozens of pages of discussion and opinions so you will have to make up your own mind about which to use. If you can get the grades of straight (monograde) oils that are recommended in the Owners Manual then use them and save yourself any worries and doubts. If you can't get straight oil then I guess you'll have to use multigrade 20/50 in the engine but not in the gearbox for which you will need straight SAE 50 or equivalent. There may be other oils suitable for the gearbox but I can't suggest any because SAE 50 is easy to get here in the U.K.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Here's a guide on how the spring is fitted to my '47 AJS......note that the the tang of the spring fits under the brake pedal arm.
Spring rear brake pedal return b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.