Oil change procedure

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
DRC

Oil change procedure

Post by DRC »

I'm going to change the oils on the Matchless 250 G2, i have seen 2 drain plugs located on the underside of the engine with access through the subframe, are these both engine oil or is the rear for the gearbox? if the rear one isn't for the gearbox where would the drain plug be for the gearbox, i can see that i would put engine oil in through the filler hole on offside front casing, just wondered where i top up the gearbox oil? do i have to take the kickstand and side plate off to access the filler hole, have read through workshop manual but not too clear, or maybe i have missed something.

Cheers

DC
dodger

Re: Oil change procedure

Post by dodger »

The front drain plug is for the oil tank, the rear drain plug is for the sump.
DRC

Post by DRC »

dodger wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:49 am The front drain plug is for the oil tank, the rear drain plug is for the sump.
Cheers Dodger i will take them both out.

DC
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

Hi DRC, you top up the g/box via the inspection plate, secured by the two screws. Top up level with the bottom of inspection hole. The drain is a little bolt to the back of the box on the r/h side.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
DRC

Post by DRC »

Tolly wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:07 pm Hi DRC, you top up the g/box via the inspection plate, secured by the two screws. Top up level with the bottom of inspection hole. The drain is a little bolt to the back of the box on the r/h side.
Cheers Tolly i will check it out.

DC
dodger

Post by dodger »

Just as an aside,when you drain the sump and the oil tank an amount of oil sometimes finds its way inside of that bottom tray. When you go for a run afterwards you get what appears to be a leak by way of a pool of oil under the bike when you park up. Worth checking the drain plugs anyway but it sometimes is spurious.
DRC

Post by DRC »

dodger wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 pm Just as an aside,when you drain the sump and the oil tank an amount of oil sometimes finds its way inside of that bottom tray. When you go for a run afterwards you get what appears to be a leak by way of a pool of oil under the bike when you park up. Worth checking the drain plugs anyway but it sometimes is spurious.
Thanks for the advice Dodger.

DC