Remote oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
DerekAJS30

Remote oil filter

Post by DerekAJS30 »

My AJS Model 30 has original oil filter set up but quite frankly it looks rather crude. I wonder about adding a remote filter, much like the norton comando to improve the filtration. I understand it must be placed on the return, not the inflow to the oil pump. Does anyone have experience of doing this or thoughts about pros and cons? Thanks in advance, Derek
dave16mct

Re: Remote oil filter

Post by dave16mct »

I've done a few with no problems. The one to go for is the commando filter head with 1/2" pipes from Andover Norton. Saves making adaptors from 3/8" to 1/2". I've put my latest one low down in front of the rear wheel which will make it easy to change and drain. I'll post a picture later.
Dave.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

ImageImage
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

DerekAJS30 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:17 am My AJS Model 30 has original oil filter set up but quite frankly it looks rather crude. I wonder about adding a remote filter, much like the norton comando to improve the filtration. I understand it must be placed on the return, not the inflow to the oil pump. Does anyone have experience of doing this or thoughts about pros and cons? Thanks in advance, Derek
I think there's another thread about this exact topic. My Model 31 has a remote filter on the return side, hidden round the back of the oil tank under the seat. A previous owner fitted it, I've just relocated it so it all looks original. It's done about 9k miles under my ownership (not all on the original filter obviously) with no problems.

Malc
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I'm still digging into the world of filters and just watched this video that compares paper with wire filters. I think some choose the wire type filters for the risk of paper blockage? but this video demonstrates the difference.
Probably best with a cuppa

shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Strip down of engine after both filter tests, would've been nice to see what bearings were like and bottom of solvent tank after paper filter test

ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi shaun. I'm not altogether sure what the car type oil filters are made of but I'm fairly sure it's not paper? Are there many manufacturers who use paper filters now?
I've just got the Andover norton type ordered and delivered today. Fantastic service.
Looks a nice bit of kit but I'm not allowed to have it until Christmas day. It's got to be gift wrapped apparently just so I can be surprised when I open it .........
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Hi Chris, All spin on ones I've known are a paper element that's folded may times to get a large surface area, its the wire ones Ive not seen as a spin on type before.
I'm still reading about the built in bypass valve most filters have and how it works on the oil return, I think I need more experimenting in the new year.

Haha Christmas mine always have to be wrapped with a bow
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Well I look forward to following your experiments in the new year. The way I look at it millions of spin on filters have been made and are used daily so I'm going to give it a go. Gotta be better than the minimal filtration the ajs currently has.
Happy Christmas
RSC13

Post by RSC13 »

Wow those oil testing guys certainly enjoy their work, and love to talk. I think you could have summarised their findings in a third of the time.
I've also got a 1/2" bore filter head from Andover Norton, still thinking about where I want to mount it, I can see that in front of the wheel is more convenient, but I won't be doing high mileage so having to take the seat or a panel off to gain access isn't a big deal for me.