Matchless G2 250 - Another Oily Question

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
DRC

Matchless G2 250 - Another Oily Question

Post by DRC »

I was checking the oil return feed to the reservoir and noticed after the engine had run for a few minutes the oil level dropped slightly revealing the return feed that seemed to be blowing more air and bubbles than returning oil, the question is could this mean there is a blockage somewhere and if so does this mean a complete engine strip down or is there another way to see if oil is getting to all the right places, also is there another way to clear oil ways without taking engine apart?

DC
Tolly

Re: Matchless G2 250 - Another Oily Question

Post by Tolly »

No this is quite normal. Keep the level just below the return.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
clive

Post by clive »

DRC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:19 am I was checking the oil return feed to the reservoir and noticed after the engine had run for a few minutes the oil level dropped slightly revealing the return feed that seemed to be blowing more air and bubbles than returning oil, the question is could this mean there is a blockage somewhere and if so does this mean a complete engine strip down or is there another way to see if oil is getting to all the right places, also is there another way to clear oil ways without taking engine apart?

DC
I imagine the lightweights are the same as the heavy weights in that the return side of the oil pump has a higher capacity than the supply side and so at tickover it tends to blow bubbles intermittently.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
DRC

Post by DRC »

Tolly wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:17 pm No this is quite normal. Keep the level just below the return.
Great news, cheers Tolly
DRC

Post by DRC »

clive wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:28 pm
DRC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:19 am I was checking the oil return feed to the reservoir and noticed after the engine had run for a few minutes the oil level dropped slightly revealing the return feed that seemed to be blowing more air and bubbles than returning oil, the question is could this mean there is a blockage somewhere and if so does this mean a complete engine strip down or is there another way to see if oil is getting to all the right places, also is there another way to clear oil ways without taking engine apart?

DC
I imagine the lightweights are the same as the heavy weights in that the return side of the oil pump has a higher capacity than the supply side and so at tickover it tends to blow bubbles intermittently.
Cheers Clive
allblanket

Post by allblanket »

Tolly wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:17 pm No this is quite normal. Keep the level just below the return.
I also have the same situation and am quite worried. Luckily this is normal.