G80S Exhaust

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Brian 54G80S

G80S Exhaust

Post by Brian 54G80S »

My 1953 G80s front exhaust pipe just sits firmly in the head with no clamping mechanism. It has a finned clamp on the pipe but given the pipe simply slides into the exhaust port on the head and doesn't slide onto a spigot I cant see what purpose the clamp serves. When I look in the 1953 parts book, there doesn't appear to be a spigot in the exhaust port on the cylinder head nor any detail on how the exhaust is held in place.
Any wisdom will be appreciated.

By the way, it started for the first time in at least 15 years yesterday. Ive only had it a few months and it was most rewarding to hear it breathe life once again. Ran like a clock, even idled smoothly and I was able to repeat the performance this morning.
Happy new year everyone.

Brian.
SPRIDDLER

Re: G80S Exhaust

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There isn't a spigot or clamp. The pipe is supposed to be swaged out by driving a wooden cone shaped block into it to create an interference fit in the head but I've not done that. I set/bend the lower bracket at the bend of the pipe where it's attached to the frame rail so that it preloads the pipe fully into the cyl head socket then use ordinary bathroom silicone sealant to make a gastight joint. I wrap masking tape around the pipe where it enters the head before applying the sealant then use a sharp knife to cut the tape to leave a clean edge.
The ordinary bathroom sealant that I use is fine at the pipe's temperature.
I see the the finned clamp as just a 'go faster' embellishment. ;)

Well done by getting it running. I like the sound of the 500 single's zorst so much, especially when pulling hard uphill in 4th gear, that I'm tempted to record it starting up then fading into the distance to be played during the Committal at my funeral. :)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Brian 54G80S

Post by Brian 54G80S »

Thanks Spriddler. Your very helpful as always. Lets hope you don't get to play your recording anytime soon! :thumbup:
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I always was under the impression that the finned 'clamp' was just a heat sink to stop the exhaust pipe from going blue