AJS parts

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Amb3611

AJS parts

Post by Amb3611 »

I have been struggling to get parts for a model 8 ,350, Found an excellent supplier in London, got everything (except piston which is obviously made of fairy dust) Russel motors London ,Great knowledgable guy called Les 020 7228 1714. Can well recommend. I have found a piston in Austria but very expensive £170.
KAB
spookefoote1956

Re: AJS parts

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

Yes spoke to Thorntons. They had sold the last ones to Austria. 😀
KAB
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Les at Russells has been a supplier for 50+ years. When the AMC factory at Plumstead closed he and his Dad brought lorry loads of spares, factory tooling and drawings back to his shop at Clapham. He's in his late 70's now and works reduced hours so make the most of him. ;)

Rob Swift (ajscomboman) doesn't appear to have seen your question in your other thread (extract below) so maybe best to send him a PM.
Amb3611 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:53 pm
ajscomboman wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:19 pm You cannot get 350cc L/W pistons new from anywhere. You can however modify 650 twin pistons to suit easy option is the 59 only type as all you have to do is alter the skirt to clear the flywheel. Gives slightly more compression as well.
Thanks for that I’m starting to find your right. No stock anywhere I can find at the moment Any idea what the part number would be for 650 twin piston? Also how much would need to be removed from skirt to fit the 350?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
moley

Post by moley »

What about Cox and Turner - always very helpful andy
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

After a few discussions with various folk,and a proper assessment under magnification, I think I will get away with reusing the piston i have. The thickness of the piston top has surprised me so I am going to carefully grind / polish out the raised deformities and see how I get on.
KAB