Burman CP box and clutch

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Re: Burman CP box and clutch

Post by 56G80S »

Quite a contrast. I can stand on the kickstart and it takes 2-3 seconds before there's movement!

Back in the day )(1970's) I used to start it without a valve lifter!

Old age.

Johnny B
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

clive wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:02 pm Well it does seem the nut at the kickstart end was a bit loose and ttightening it up did reduce the movement but not completely. That was achieved by using a washer but the gearbox did not then turn. So i will make do with a bit of movement which will mirror the movement of the engine! Incidentally with the rattle gun i have found a new way of stripping threads. Fortunately the nut gave up well before the thread on the shaft. Next task check the pushrod adjustment as the engine can be turned over by hand on the engine sprocket, if not it was running fine so leave well alone!
Are you using the correct nut on the timing side of the gearbox mainshaft? The threads are relieved slightly so that the nut sits fully down on the mainshaft shoulder.
clive

Post by clive »

Thanks Duncan. I think the nut is correct. Stripped one with the rattle gun but had another in my gearbox spares. The movement is much less now but still noticeable.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix