Big end bearing

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
clive

Re: Big end bearing

Post by clive »

Neil i understand your frustration but think of it from the suppliers point of view. Historically there were failures of their one piece bearing. I assume the two parts are pressed together rather than floating. If they supply just the outer are the dimensions of the original pin exactly cirrect for the two to press together without damage? Will the user damage the pin pushing the two oarts together? If there are failures will the stories abound about how their bearings fail? Given these are at least 60 year old bikes I think we are lucky someone is making the bearings.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

EddieDay wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:01 pm TI have ordered a Hepolite big end from Classic Motorcycles for £201. I will put a post on my thread under the G3/M16 section when it is fitted.
Is it this one Eddie? It's from Classic Bike Parts at Northwich, which is a product distributed by Wassell who own the Hepolite brand.
It will be interesting to read how you get on with it.
Big end assy - Hepolite Wassell.JPG

Here are the Wassell catalogue's details for it and they say it's made in England which is comforting (hopefully).

Big end Wassell catalogue.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Neville, yes that is the one. I was a bit worried by what seemed to be excessive play in the bearing when I unpacked it. But I know that the play will be reduced when the outer is pressed into the con rod.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

That's why we are nervous until they are tried and tested
As Neville said originally the factory had selective fit components , then after market required honing to achieve clearance

It will be interesting to see how 'Hepolite' have chosen to select their manufacturing tolerances
I imagine that it will still need honing to achieve optimum running clearance

let us know what you find !
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

clive wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:31 am Neil i understand your frustration but think of it from the suppliers point of view. Historically there were failures of their one piece bearing. I assume the two parts are pressed together rather than floating. If they supply just the outer are the dimensions of the original pin exactly cirrect for the two to press together without damage? Will the user damage the pin pushing the two oarts together? If there are failures will the stories abound about how their bearings fail? Given these are at least 60 year old bikes I think we are lucky someone is making the bearings.
Very good points Clive, I was only thinking this would be a good option as inner and outer rings can be bought in many different sizes at very reasonable prices but of coarse not the sizes we need :rofl:

I've had a chat with the local machining guy and he has a plan so once in progress ill let you know all about it, could be a while though he's very busy :cry:

Cheers
Everyday’s a learning curve.
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Neil we should compare notes on this. You with your machine shop solution and me with my Hepolite / Wassel unit.
clive

Post by clive »

EddieDay wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:59 am Neil we should compare notes on this. You with your machine shop solution and me with my Hepolite / Wassel unit.
Good idea but not just on reassembly check again after 20 or 30,000 miles! :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

EddieDay wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:59 am Neil we should compare notes on this. You with your machine shop solution and me with my Hepolite / Wassel unit.
Mine will be a while I’m sure but he’s a clever bloke and like I said before made lots for different bikes so expect no issues, how is the hepolite one? Have you tried fitting it yet?

Neil
Everyday’s a learning curve.
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Neil I have delivered it to a local workshop for pressing the outer race into the conrod eye. I'll let you know what it feels like after that.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

As Neville says, the Hepolite brand name is now owned by Wassell; hence things like big ends and oil pumps now bearing that branding rather than pistons & rings. The previous owner of the Hepolite cylinder components brand (T&N Industries, later taken over by Federal-Mogul, later taken over by Tenneco) sold the name when all their cylcom parts became branded Nüral. I know this because I was the Nüral Product Manager.
I am with g80csp11 in that I don't know what the Wassell sourcing strategy is - is it made to their design, or just bought off the shelf? Having worked for many years in the Aftermarket engine parts field, I know the difficulty in getting parts made economically in batches of less than 1000. *Although I don't know*, I would not be at all surprised if it is a currently available Indian part.