Centre stand

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Red Gauntlet

Centre stand

Post by Red Gauntlet »

My 64 CS did not come with a centre stand, it has 19" wheels with 80/20 off road tyres, I have acquired a standard centre stand but the CS I have seen have the extended stands, I can weld one up easily enough but I need a few dimensions to get it right, diameter of the extended legs and length. Also were they only for the 18/21 wheels or is it necessary for the 19/19 arrangement as the tyres are generally bigger than the road bikes.
dave16mct

Re: Centre stand

Post by dave16mct »

My '57 18CS centre stand has no extensions and the rear tyre is well clear of the ground. I built it with 19" wheels with Heidenau knobbly tyres. I would say put the stand on and try it with no spring to see how it is. Then you can add some wood etc to see how much you want to extend the legs (if needed). The extensions are thick wall tube with the end plugged. They are all different with wear and type of suspension etc. My CSR has small extensions about 1/2" long and both wheels are on the ground. My Model 20 had lots of wear in the stand and frame and was a pig to put on the stand. I fitted one of Rob Swifts's and it's a doddle now.
Dave