Oil Seal removal

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

Oil Seal removal

Post by Invicta »

I have been trying to remove the stations from the sliders on my 1950 model 18. I have tried the gripping in a vice and pulling method, with heating the sliders to no avail. I saw on here a method of fixing a plate to the lower end of the sliders with a tapped hole through wich a piece of stud bar is screwed to push the damper rod out. My problem is how to get the damper retaining bolt out. I have a ground down socket which I used to unscrew it, and I have tried to grip it with needle nosed plyers, knocking the sliders on the floor to shake it out, but it still will not come out. It is loose and can be pushed round with the end of a screw diver but I still can't get it out of the slider. The only thing I can think of that is keeping it in is the fiber washer. There is not enough space around it to grip it with anything to pull it out. Until it is out I can not use the steel plate and stud bar slider removal method. Has any one else encountered this problem?
dave16mct

Re: Oil Seal removal

Post by dave16mct »

If you remove the drain screw on the side and screw in the toolbox screw which has a pointy end. This should hold the damper while you unscrew the bolt.
Dave.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thank you I will try that. I have the shuttle type forks used 1949 to 1950 , but I suppose a screw screwed in as you suggest will hold the damper cone in place. I did think that once the bolt had losened the cone was just turning with it, as there is nothing to stop it turning. Makes me wonder how they assembled these things in the factory.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

It worked a treat. but with the shuttle damper cone now lying on its side, using the push out method with a piece of stud bar through a plate bolted to the bottom of the slider was off the table. So back to pulling from the other end. I made a 1 1/8" hole in a 1 1/2" thick block of wood with a spade drill , which I passed over the stantion and up against the slider . With the other end of the stantion held in the vice I placed a bottle jack between the side of the vice and the block of wood as close to the stantion as possible, and jacked the slider off the stantion. Now to do the other leg.