Grumpy Thumpy

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Merlin

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by Merlin »

I returned to motorcycling after a break of thirty years,so bought myself a really good G3LS and just keep to the lanes around where I live to better my skills.I shall not be traveling on motorways,do that all week.
Regards
Merlin
Chemists do it with test tubes
poplargreg

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by poplargreg »

You will have to prepare to put up with annoying remarks. These two on consecutive days.

example 1 from rh side neighbour "Trying to regain your lost youth, eh?"

example 2 from lh side neighbour "If you can't start it, you're too old to rde it"
What made the second comment doubly tiresome was the fact that I had just completed my customary two prods with the exhaust valve raised, prior to the "long, swinging" start kick.

And I've never been without a bike!Edited by - poplargreg on 02 Jun 2007 1:28:44 PM
paul knapp

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by paul knapp »

Just for interest, down here in South Oz, there are no vehicle inspections for private rego renewals. Just pay the renewal fee and a new rego sticker magically turns up in the letter box. As long as the vehicle has a rego history in this state (so they know it isn't stolen), the motor transport department will re-register for another year, un-sighted. They don't want to look if the tires are bald, there is no muffler, no lights, no horn, cracked wind screen, smokes or leakes oil profusly, they will do another years rego (three years in the case of a conditional historically registered vehicle (over 30 years old)).
It is up to the sparse police force to catch faulty vehicles on the road. If a vehicle is detected with a fault, it will be defected and only then will have to be examined at a govt motor transport branch, after repairs are performed, to have the defect notice removed.
It is reported to the public that the apparent cause of most vehicle crashes/deaths is due to driver/rider error!! not faulty vehicles...Speed, driver inattention and more speed!!
It is also estimated here that 1 in 10 vehicles are not registered and/or the driver has never held a licence or had any driver training. Judging by the general reckless road manners seen, I would say that figure to be even higher.
It seems all to easy?

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

griffin

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by griffin »

Quote...It is also estimated here that 1 in 10 vehicles are not registered and/or the driver has never held a licence or had any driver training. Judging by the general reckless road manners seen, I would say that figure to be even higher.
It seems all to easy?

For the British members here's a little titbit...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6707367.stm

About half way down read the bit about motorcycles having electronic tags fitted !!!

The innocent having to pay the price again.

Chris.Edited by - griffin on 02 Jun 2007 3:35:58 PM
Merlin

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by Merlin »

I don't see motorcycles plates being cloned as big business.
griffin

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by griffin »

quote:
I don't see motorcycles plates being cloned as big business.

Its because some speeding motorcyclists are hard to identify and/or catch.So wont apply to us will it.
Merlin

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by Merlin »

Not in my case
lawrence

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by lawrence »

You know those roadside blue posts with scanners attached to the top. They are linked to enable recording of average speed. A tag on the vehicle is read at point A then, at point B, read again. The computer then works out if the journey time could have been completed without breaking ANY of the encountered speed limits. If you have broken a limit at any time in your journey a ticket is in the post! this is already planned for introduction. See how quietly they are slipping it in? Can you see what else it enables?

I was told this by the police officer who scrutineered my IAM test.
ajscomboman

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by ajscomboman »

Graham, having just returned from holiday and read the other postings why not do as Duncan suggests, come along and see us at the Red Lion in West Meon 1st & 3rd Thursday of each month. There are 6/7 members within a stones throw from you. Most of them choose not to read the forum and i don,t know where they get their MOT's done but i'm sure they will be more than willing to point you in the right direction. I promise not to let them bite you, well no more than once anyway.

Rob
Merlin

Grumpy Thumpy

Post by Merlin »

lawrence how can the blue posts evaluate speed without a camera?