G12 Loss Of Power

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
TommoT

G12 Loss Of Power

Post by TommoT »

...yes, this is a Danegerous job, only for thoroughbred Vikings!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
itma

G12 Loss Of Power

Post by itma »

now all we need is swedledee and swedledum....
snatchpiece

G12 Loss Of Power

Post by snatchpiece »

My magneto does not have a bakelite end cover so I can't try the car condensor trick.

The two main causes that have been suggested on here are ignition system and/or sticking exhaust valve.

I've noticed my plug leads go up from the magneto into the space between the inlet tracts on the manifold before going to their respective spark plugs, is this the usual route?
I intend to replace them anyway and do not want to route them through a hostile environment.

What could cause a valve to stick after 15/20 miles? bearing in mind that it appears my bike has done very little mileage over the last 10 years. Is there any visual check I can do under the rocker covers to determine if one is sticking?

Thanks again to all who are helping me negotiate this rather tight learning curve, or am I going round the bend?
A clever man can guess a woman's age,
A wise man never does.
GSAX1

G12 Loss Of Power

Post by GSAX1 »

Does your magneto have a cut-out button integrated in the end cover? There were several version of end covers, some with stop leads, some with stop button. If you have the button type then my trick is not easy to adapt without modifying the cover.

About the sticking valve: you would experience loud ticking noise from the top end if this occurs. Is there any audible difference?

Michael
lawrence

G12 Loss Of Power

Post by lawrence »

quote:
my plug leads go up from the magneto into the space between the inlet tracts on the manifold before going to their respective spark plugs, is this the usual route?

doesn't sound a good route
GSAX1

G12 Loss Of Power

Post by GSAX1 »

quote: doesn't sound a good route

No, but it's the route they went when bike left the factory according to old photographs...
Stephenwalls

G12 Loss Of Power

Post by Stephenwalls »

Stephenwalls

G12 Loss Of Power

Post by Stephenwalls »

Hi, I had exactly this problem...ran for 15 miles and then lost power. The problem was a blocked cylinder head oil way. I'd advise taking the rocker covers off and check if oil is reaching all the rockers
Stephenwalls

G12 Loss Of Power

Post by Stephenwalls »

Hi,
I had a similar problem with my G12 CSR. I could get about 15m and the had a sudden loss of power. Turned out to be a sticking valve because I had a blocked oil way in the cylinder head stopping the lube and causing the valvesto stick