H/wt. valve springs.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
crawsue

H/wt. valve springs.

Post by crawsue »

Some of you will have been following my compression problems in another posting,vis a vis this I have been looking through past discussions for information regarding valve springs.One of these postings suggests that new springs from the spares scheme measure more than 2 inches when supplied,as my present 3 springs (one is broken)are barely 2 inches ,does the panel think that full replacement of all 4 is advisableHas anyone who has replaced theirs noticed a marked improvement in performance Thanks in anticipation CR
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Biscuit
Deceased

H/wt. valve springs.

Post by Biscuit »

Can't quite come to terms with 2" long applied to hairpin valve spring, can you elaborate?

Mind you, it's by the by, if you have one broken one, replace the lot, false economy otherwise.

SPRIDDLER

H/wt. valve springs.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've always assumed that the 2" refers to the distance between the ends of the 'upper' and 'lower' pairs of prongs of the springs - on the basis that when they become tired they don't spring open as far as when new.
IMHO there's no debate Crawford but to replace all 4. They're not dear and you might as well eliminate as many variables as possible whilst the top end's stripped.
If necessary put 'em on yer list for Santa.
I do this every year and family select one or more items and give me the moolah.
What else can you give a wrinkly rocker who's got everything? - apart from Penicillin of course.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
crawsue

H/wt. valve springs.

Post by crawsue »

The 2inches seems to refer to measuring when the spring is placed on a flat surface open end down then measuring up to the looped end.But I take that all on board and new ones are now on Santa's list!
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
itma

H/wt. valve springs.

Post by itma »

keep an eye on ebay, some new old stock sets of Terrys been on recently
Biscuit
Deceased

H/wt. valve springs.

Post by Biscuit »

Well, I have learnt something here.The only reference I can find is a dimension of 1 17/32" for the G80R (?), which are said to be stronger than the standard item.