singles camshafts .

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
harrison140

singles camshafts .

Post by harrison140 »

does anyone know if the shafts in the inlet camshaft assemblies on the heavyweight singles are removeable.? i have a few where the cams are in good condition , but have the wrong shaft for my alternator /coil ignition engine . (mine are threaded 1/4 ins BSF internal) i have a couple of the magneto type with the external male thread ,and thought about pressing them out and replacing with the later coil ignition type ..
barry crosby
wilko

singles camshafts .

Post by wilko »

looking at one in my hand now it looks asa though they are machined separately but i'll bet they area veeeeeeery! tight shrink fit so thecam can't move on the shaft. if you heated it up hot enough to press out it would probably upset the integrity of the metal. i hope somone else chimes in i've wondered myself. douglas
harrison140

singles camshafts .

Post by harrison140 »

the inlet camshaft from a 1954 ( i think ) engine which i am looking at, definitely is pressed together. the shaft is keyed and the cam has a keyway thro it . the later ones of which i have two are plain with no signs of a keyway etc . as you say, they will probably be realy tight, although i suspect they do not have to be excessively so ,a light press fit would be adequate . i think i will heat one up and try pressing . ! i will post the results .
barry crosby
TommoT

singles camshafts .

Post by TommoT »

...haven't done it myself, but I have couple of cams and shafts neatly seperated in my "bin of treasures". It's leftovers from a renovation of my G80 engine some years back. This was done in a local machine shop, so must be possible.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
harrison140

singles camshafts .

Post by harrison140 »

definitely possible . ! ive just pressed out a shaft( cold ), using my very large engineers vice . it took a fair degree effort to get the shaft to move but once started , pressed out with little difficulty . this now enables me to make best use of my camshaft collection , salvageing what would otherwise be scrap parts. thanks for all responses barry crosby
barry crosby