Removal of engine sprocket & clutch 650 CSR

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
johnbirch

Post by johnbirch »

Hi

I am having difficulty removing the engine sprocket nut from my 1962 650 CSR, alternator model. There does not appear to be a tab washer and the nut seems too tight to turn using the in gear,brake pedal method. Does nut need to turn anticlockwie or clockwise to undo? and likewise what is the hand of the gearbox shaft nut?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Both are R/H threads, ie. anti C/W to remove. Try shocking it undone, using a sturdy spanner and a club hammer, anything smaller will just bounce off. For the clutch centre use an old plate with a lever welded, bolted or rivetted to it to hold the clutch centre. There is a picture of one of these, but I can't find it.

The final drive sprocket has a left hand thread however, the logic behind this has yet to be discovered.

johnbirch

Post by johnbirch »

quote:
Both are R/H threads, ie. anti C/W to remove. Try shocking it undone, using a sturdy spanner and a club hammer, anything smaller will just bounce off. For the clutch centre use an old plate with a lever welded, bolted or rivetted to it to hold the clutch centre. There is a picture of one of these, but I can't find it.

The final drive sprocket has a left hand thread however, the logic behind this has yet to be discovered.
johnbirch

Post by johnbirch »

Thanks for your reply Biscuit I have now managed to remove the nut which at some point in it's life had been fastened with locktite or similar so with your information at least I knew I was " persuading " it in the correct direction.

John.