Heavy/Wt Head refit....the end result.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

An update of the work done as per my posting last month.A small window in the recent atrocious weather meant I could do a 15 mile test run.Easy stuff first,new front brake shoes have ALMOST elimenated the judder,I'm sure it will be fine after bedding in.New clutch springs,what a difference,clutch noticeably heavier at the lever but much more "urgent".Head skimmed, valves and seats re-cut,spiggot "tidied" new decoke gasket set,NEW VALVE SPRINGS result,far better starting,excellent slow,steady tick-over (sounds like a Velo!!!almost!)pulling like a train---60mph easily acheived into a stiff headwind,slightly uphill,excellent.One slight issue for the cognissenti()to comment on,before this work was done I had moved the needle up one notch to overcome a flat spot/misfire at approx 1/3rd throttle,this worked.Having dismantled the carb'during the rebuild ,and checked condition-----good/fair and checked correct fitting jets etc ,I re applied the carb'with the needle in the middle notch,although the pick up is much better I still have a flat spot/misfire at around the same throttle position,it clears as I apply more throttle or throttle off.Question,should I look at re jetting or just try to move the needle up one notch again Thanks for eveyones input over the past few weeks,and especially to Ken who put the rocket up my a%se to "get on with it"!! PS,I'm happy with the timing,which is magneto.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
itma

Post by itma »

Well done, it pays to do the job properly. Personally, I would put a few more miles on it before I alterd any carb settings, let it settle down a bit.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Don't recall exactly what you have renewed on the bike, but 60 MPH, slightly uphill against a head wind - oh dear!!

Watch this space

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

quote:
new front brake shoes have ALMOST elimenated the judder,

Sounds as if the drum needs skimming. It will fail the MOT if the drum is even slightly oval. The drum can be skimmed on the wheel.

quote:
.New clutch springs,what a difference,clutch noticeably heavier at the lever but much more "urgent".

It sounds as if you may have overtightened the clutch springs Crawford. It should be a nice gentle clutch, one of the best you will get on a bike. If you do a 'search' for clutch spring adjustment all will be revealed

well done with the rest!
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

Cheers,Ken,if the monsoon abates I'll get a half decent run in before changing anything.Alan ,it is a 500,my usual cruising speed is 50/55 mph which is where my comfort zone is,considering the brake/tyre situation,I was just so happy to hear and feel her pull so effortlessly.Laurence,my use of the language lets me down,the clutch has a much more "urgent "feel to it,before it worked and didn't slip,but was "lazy",quick exits from side roads were not for the faint hearted!I have had the front drum measured in anticipation of a "skim" and it was only 1--2 thou out so skimming wasn't thought appropriate,it was pretty coroded and the shoes were on their last legs,so have been renewed,I'm sure that with a few miles under their belt it will be fine. Any way as you can probably imagine I'm well chuffed with the overall result and feel of my 'bike now............how long is it 'til summer
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?