49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Samuel

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by Samuel »

The four clutch spring screws seem to undo themselves with alarming regularity.
Do I have to remove the chain case every 500 miles to do them up again or is there some sort of locking technique available ?
Sam
Biscuit
Deceased

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by Biscuit »

At 90 degrees to the screwdriver slot, or sometimes the screwdriver slot itself, the metal of the screw is swaged/punched such that there is a projection under the head of the screw that engages with the spring. There is a similar projection at the bottom of the spring cup. If you modify the screws by punching/swaging don't over do it, as large projections won't ride easily over the spring end when removing, and can damage the springs.

Just noticed. The projection on the screw and spring cup can be seen (just) on the spares list drawing.Edited by - Biscuit on 12 Feb 2008 10:26:57 AM

wilko

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by wilko »

Maybe the springs are weirdo and they are wrong handed?? I've never had this problem before even though i've never used new springs or slotted screws in my life! (cheapskate) If you set the screws quickly enough you could put a dab of locktite on each of them!!The rotation of the clutch basket should in fact try to tighten them! douglas
TommoT

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by TommoT »

As the others say, something must be wrong with your set-up, either the screws, springs or cups or a combination. If you find out you have, say the wrong screws without the indentation, or wrong cups you could use lockwire. But these parts are so cheap that they are a worthwhile investment instead of fiddling around with various bodges, that will annoy you every time you need to work on the clutch
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Samuel

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by Samuel »

quote:
If you find out you have, say the wrong screws without the indentation, or wrong cups you could use lockwire.

Thanks for the responses -
Replacement screws and springs from Russell Motors with correct indentations - but what are these cups you refer to ?
Sam
TommoT

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by TommoT »

quote:
quote:
If you find out you have, say the wrong screws without the indentation, or wrong cups you could use lockwire.

Thanks for the responses -
Replacement screws and springs from Russell Motors with correct indentations - but what are these cups you refer to ?

Spring cups are the barrel shaped cylinders that fit loosely into the pressure plate and takes both springs and studs.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Dick Hobart

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by Dick Hobart »

Another pedant writes - there are no screws, only adjustment nuts! I know, Samuel, that's no help at all but as others have said, if it's all set up correctly, you shouldn't be having a problem. Just a thought - someone hasn't fitted the studs from an AMC clutch which have nuts on the gearbox end. I realise it's unlikely but folk do have some strange ideas and I've known those nuts loosen. With a Burman clutch in decent nick and put together correctly there's nothing really that can come loose. Good luck.
Biscuit
Deceased

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by Biscuit »

Quite right Richard, I should have said nuts.

Samuel

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by Samuel »

I rebuilt the clutch from scratch with all the correct parts - plates, springs and nuts - as verified and sold to me by Russell Motors - yet I find the 'nuts' regularly undo themselves !
Sam
paul knapp

49 G80 Clutch adjustment

Post by paul knapp »

If the adjuster nut dimple is locked to the spring end and the spring is locked to the spring cup dimple, the whole cup must be turning in the pressure plate?

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!