Wheel Bearings

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
itma

Wheel Bearings

Post by itma »

Any chance of being handled by Scarlet Johannson,for those of us that aren't turned on by Robert Redford?
Merlin

Wheel Bearings

Post by Merlin »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh she might be dead
Chemists do it with test tubes
crawsue

Wheel Bearings

Post by crawsue »

I hope not,she's supposed to be at the "Oscars" tonight!
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Merlin

Wheel Bearings

Post by Merlin »

So much for my knowledge of film stars.
Chemists do it with test tubes
lolski

Wheel Bearings

Post by lolski »

i agree with you itma Scarlet Johannson the girl with the pearl earing, gorgeous
itma

Wheel Bearings

Post by itma »

yep she can handle my spare parts anyday'

Robert Redford???????????
I thought he was dead
Don Madden

Wheel Bearings

Post by Don Madden »

I haven't yet seen anyone address the description of "u/s" bearings, whatever that means. I have seen bearings that were siezed only because the original grease was hardened. Also good bearings than only needed adjusting to reduce excess play. I have some over half century old in good condition. I have had to replace others.

Just what is the problem with the originals & is replacement necessary? Only a thorough cleaning & inspection can tell.

Cheers, Don.
Eric

Wheel Bearings

Post by Eric »

Don not wishing to start an International incident I think the normal interpretation of "u/s" when used in this context is "useless". It is commonly used on this side of the pond but I have lived a very sheltered life so it may mean something else.
Circlip

Wheel Bearings

Post by Circlip »

Sorry to disturb but to get back to bearings. So then my wheel must have been modified at some time then ?. I am willing to accept that,I think they are English sized. I didnt notice anything ,it must have been well done with a spacer centre.

The center bolt tightens with a nut and then the offside fork clamps it when it is home ,--like the japs do.

What I meant by a bearing is a bearing is that you can buy a bearing from a bearing shop it is not AJS,---AJS do not make there own bearings and I know not of any machinery manufacturer that does.

If you've got the number then the size is done a few suffixes or prefixes will only denote such things as sealed for life which can be removed very easily or it will have a circlip groove which can be ignored.Edited by - Circlip on 25 Feb 2008 01:18:28 AM
Don Madden

Wheel Bearings

Post by Don Madden »

I ignored any reference to standard type ball & journal bearings as they have no relavence to the special tapered bearings fitted to the heavyweights from pre-WWII to 1963. You cannot buy nor fit any common bearing for either end of these. There are some adaptions such as the cassette for the front & specially made axle/bearings or the spacers with standard tapered bearings for the rear.

The heavyweight bearings are adjustable to compensate for wear but can be damaged by running dry due to old, hardened grease or running too loose. The axle has no effect on the tightness of a good bearing & its associated locating parts, adjusters, etc.

The first step, as I said before & many others already know, is to clean & inspect the bearings.

And thanks, Eric, for educating me on the u/s term. Perhaps I am u/s?

Cheers, Don, the Grump.