unwanted legislation etc.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

About ten years ago a country filling station near me was forced to close because its pumps were alongside the road (as pumps always were). The reason of course was an EEC directive.

I've just come back from a week dodging traffic in Malta (also in EEC) where nearly all pumps are thus. "How do you get away with it?" I asked. "We ignore the directives - the UK has a reputation for following everything to the letter" was the reply.

It was also election week, with large party meetings reminiscent of a Nuremburg rally. The Labour party is trying to unseat the ruling Nationists. What is most striking was the involvement of young people in the way they would only follow a football match over here - wearing banners and driving around blowing horns, but all very good tempered.

There is expected to be the usual 96% turnout to vote! We travelled back with a Maltese girl in her early twenties, who works in a bank in Birmingham. She had flow over just to cast her vote, and returned the next day. A bit different to the apathetic behaviour of our youth (and a lot of adults)

Rather than complaining about legislation being forced on us, rather better to follow their example, don't you think?
itma

Post by itma »

You overlook the fact Greg that every other englishman is waiting for the chance to stop another Englishman doing something.

If Hitler had realised that all he had to do was issue 1/3rd of the populace with a Peaked Hat and a book of instant penalty fines, he'd be here yet.

You also need majority of the populace to have a strong streak of rebellious individualism; Hence France and Italy and evidently Malta do as they like.
Here it has been a crime to be an individual for many years, just look at yoof which follow every fad like sheep, or the middle classes buying makes of car which they believe make certain statements about their imagined status ... in the doing putting huge amounts of cash into the pockets of a few.

Bloody clones the lot of them.Its how the establishment has gotten us to this state.

Its part of the reason why the powers that be dislike Motorcyclists, New Age Travellers and the like. We try to be individuals. An independant thinker is a menace to the established order, which relies on a sham "democracy" which is little more than manipulated opinion of the masses.
The other thing these countries have is a history of violent ejection of the "great and the good" from time to time.
We don't have this, regretably
I bet you wish you never asked now.
I'm off for a lie down.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

They the great and the good do like or understand small manufacturing units because they cannot control what we do so they are slowly overpowering us with legislation.Rant over back to the red wine none French of course(they don't eat our lamb or beef).
Chemists do it with test tubes
Winkie

Post by Winkie »

Totally agree, Ken. I spent my working life in financial services and never got anywhere because I always said what I thought, not what was politically correct. Everyone did what was best for their own profit and not what was best for the general good. I retired early because I couldn't stand any more of it.

Our politicians are a sorry bunch, with no real alternative to vote for - and they don't give a damn about what the general population really needs or wants. Whatever we say about the USA, they have a semblance of real democracy, with many elected officials, who therefore have some accountability, unlike our lot.....

Look at our 'transport policy' - congested roads, expensive fuel, and even more expensive public transport - where it even exists. Our government, both local and national, think we should never go anywhere, and instead spend what cash we have on paying for their own inflated pensions and perks!

I feel better for getting that off my chest - not that anything will change. Roll on the revolution - count me in when it starts.

Edited by - Winkie on 09 Mar 2008 4:56:14 PM
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

quote:
An independant thinker is a menace to the established order, which relies on a sham "democracy" which is little more than manipulated opinion of the masses.

Absolutely right.

There is not democracy in Britain. Try protesting against council's policy. The only thing they are scared of is publicity against them. They can get very nasty at any attempt to generate it.
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Post by Rick.Edwards »

Unfortunatley i think it is in the nature of the British to live and work to an established order that is ruled by telephone sanitizers and washer counters,it is why we where invaded in 1066"The System was already in place" I can continue if you like.........
The piston ring King
itma

Post by itma »

slightly off topic on the subject of Red Wine [slurp] while I agree with point about beef etc, some time ago, while filling the bike up, next to me was one of our local Yeoman farmers, whose back window was full of stickers, Buy British Beef, Countryside alliance, Save the Pound, Get us out of Europe etc you know the type, and hence a red rag to myself.
So I pointed to these and said "do you believe all that?" and got the rant about British this and British that.
At which I pointed to the Mitsubishi badge on his 4x4 and said, "if you didnt have that sort of crap I`d have a job and the cash to buy your sodding beef."

He was soooooooooooo rude

So I drink my St Emilion with relish and a clear consience
And whats more as I buy it in France I have not paid any cash into Scotch misery Broon's coffers for him to dole out again to the usual scrotes and scroungers.Edited by - itma on 09 Mar 2008 5:52:47 PM
Groily

Post by Groily »

I share your preferences Itma, as I think we've said before! (Slurp from here, cheers). And your prejudice re raving pseudo-nats.
Re certain types of furriner, I don't think the French (for example) refuse to buy stuff (dead cows for instance) JUST because it's furrin, I think they simply want to buy local goods if they exist, same as we all should in theory. A minority of them are blatantly and vocally protectionist about it and get carried away by emotion from time to time (as in unforgivably burning sheep a few years ago). Which is not good, obviously.
It's still legal to 'fly the flag' hereabouts without having to apologise for it, the which I think is good. People intuitively understand the link between local production, local consumption and the employment statistics (while also starting to appreciate some of the things that do need to change).
It's interesting to see from latest figs that despite the absurdly over-valued Euro, the exodus to France from other countries is actually accelerating relatively. Only really good decision I ever made, apart from falling in love with 2 wheels and the odd woman (read that as you will), was to get self here.
I say this on local election day (for mayors and village councillors), where everyone - even strangers who can be bothered - votes on the running of the local village. 80% turnout in our village today - compare that with the usual apathy in other places. A really good system that really works and can make a big difference to the lives of ordinary, decent, real, breathing, tax-paying people. I expect to see more of us here over the years left to me, regardless of the hassle factors. . .Groily
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Ken's story re the Mitsubishi reminds be of two mates in the pub, one said 'Ford have named there new car Mondeo', the other geezer retorts 'Why couldn't they give it a good 'ole English name like Cortina'

Circlip

Post by Circlip »

Strange that when I started to talk about retiring early and knocking the british system I got myself into a right ole bother. Saying almost exactly what every one here is saying.

The only difference is I did move abroad, instead of whimpering on about it.

I think I'm right in saying 20,000 Brits move abroad each month, sounds a lot does'nt it but I think thats correct.

But your right ,-what can you do? apathy is encouraged by futlity, a fine British pass time.

Failure is becoming too easy to accept.