AJS or Matchless - Which Jampot to go for ?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ianrichards

Post by ianrichards »

I have just returned to biking after a 30 year break and having reached that "certain age" that you hanker for "the good old days", I treated myself to a Royal Enfield Bullet, which has proved to be a great way of introducing myself to the world of classics ...well nearly.
But I now want the real thing and after many pleasurable hours of research I have narrowed the choice down to either a 500cc AJS or Matchless with my preference being to a G80.
The only things that I am certain about is that the year of manufacture must be in the 1950s,it must be 500cc or more AND that it must be black ... of course.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Ian
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

Welcome to the forum,Ian,you will get plenty of excellent advice here about what to go for,so I'll make my pitch!Firstly do join the club,the benefits are numerous..too many to mention,they also have an excellent sales division based at Kettering and you can view there "stock" on line.You will no doubt know that post war AMC machines were produced in duplicate whether AJS or Matchless it was mainly a case of badge engineering,so ,although others may disagree,a model 18s (AJS)is no better or worse than a G80 (Matchless).Although I am the proud owner of a G80 I can confidently say that the 350cc machine (G3L)or it's AJS sibling model 16 are every bit as enjoyable and probably smoother running.....and normaly between £500--£1000 cheaper,as there were lots more of them.In my honest opinion (as I have owned one!)I would avoid a "lightweight" machine,I personally beleive that they were very much built to a price and many were badly neglected by their young owners back in the sixties.Please try to check out your local "section" (see this site for details)you will get lots of hands on help and advice there.I would only get involved with an Ebay sale if it was close enough for you to go and view before commiting,and if possible take along an expert!Having said that there have been some nice looking examples recently...at the moment a very original (looking) G80 in the Aberdeen area.Regards,Crawford.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi,
Like you Ian I returned to biking after nearly 40 years thought I would like a big twin but sense prevailed and I bought a lovely G3LS which I have now enjoyed for 7 year's.You will find this to be one of the better clubs for help and advice.(Please do a search before the question so as not to wake up the grumpy older members)
Regards,
Merlin
Chemists do it with test tubes
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

Crickey Merlin, I thought you were a youngster, I wouldn't have thought it possible you have been riding for more than 40 years!

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

AJS and Matchless are, as has been said are exactly the same. My preference is Matchless, I find the touches of cold blue on the Ajay off putting. Whilst several here seem happy with the 350, if you have a larger bike(s) available to you, then the 350 is definitely lacking in get up and go, so I say go for the 500.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

No.. I wasn't riding for nearly 40 years but I am a youngster when you profile other members.
Chemists do it with test tubes
matman

Post by matman »

quote: In my honest opinion (as I have owned one!)I would avoid a "lightweight" machine,I personally beleive that they were very much built to a price and many were badly neglected by their young owners back in the sixties.

Poor Lightweights! NOBODY seems to like them...
But if you ever listen to people who rode/ride them, they seem to be the choice for the owner who is looking for handiness, temperament (everything is relative... ) and joy of riding.

Okay, write & speak bad about them, and even worse - keeps them cheap!!!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Glyn has a mate called Simon who has a lightweight. Lookswise it makes my bikes look concours. Two years ago, a week before the Begian BSA Owners Club John Bull Rally, it cracked right across the crown of it's piston. Typically, he got all down and depressed and ready for throwing in the towel and not going. Come on, now, he had days to sort it. Sooo.....
While Glyn was bullying him into making sure it hadn't done any other damage, mate no. 2, Dave, got his son to weld the piston. In the meantime, unbeknown to Simon, I was servicing my Honda Dream, so if all else failed he could ride that. I knew he would be OK riding it as I'd got it from him six months earlier. I know it prolonged his misery but we didn't tell him in case he stopped sorting the Matchy. The organisers of the John Bull state that only old British bikes are allowed, but my thinking was that they cant stop anyone riding to the site, parking up somewhere outside and entering the rally on pillion.

As it happened my Honda wasn't needed. With 20 miles on the clock from rebuild to reaching the ferry the three musketeers set off. A few days later they returned. Two out of the three had some problem. I think that was when Glyn's exhaust on his BSA B40 ended up fastened with wire becasue the braked broke. ChazzyB may remeer becasue I think he was there. I forget what went wrong with Dave's cafe racer. Guess which one went without a hitch. Yes, the much maligned filthy, scruffy lightweight Simon Matchless.
itma

Post by itma »

lightweights should be avoided by a returnee for a number of reasons
not the least is that, as matman says, they remain cheap, well relatively.
because they have always been unloved, they have inthe past been bought by the sort of person that buys them only because they are cheap;this mentality extended to maintenance and mechanical skills.
They have almost inevitably been bodged beyond belief, even the ones which look decent [and on this subject I am speaking from present experience sadly]
But, as their devotees will rightly tell you, when they are put together properly, they are quit passable bikes.
Our dear Janets parable is a reflection on mechanical abilities, not the inherent quality of the lightweight.
Personally I wouldn't give one garage room.
Other than that, riders of discernment and taste, with a respect for the history ride Matchless, the peasents ride the other version

edited as someone has moved the letters on my keyboardEdited by - itma on 21 Mar 2008 11:17:23 AM
Janet

Post by Janet »

quote:
lightweights should be avoided by a returnee for a number of reasons
not the least is that, as matman says, they remain cheap, well relatively.
because they have always been unloved, they have inthe past been bought by the sort of person that buys them only because they are cheap;this mentality extended to maintenance and mechanical skills.
They have almost inevitably been bodged beyond belief, That's me. I only buy cheap bikes because anything expensive would be a waste and since I have no mechanical skills I have to bodge them to keep them roadworthy. But roadworthy they are or I wouldn't use them.