AJS or Matchless - Which Jampot to go for ?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

A rich one though where are they all when I am selling.
Chemists do it with test tubes
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Ian,I have a 1957 G3 Ls 350cc This was given to me as a gift.I love the look of the bike,I think it will cost me more than it's worth to rebuild from a basketcase,therefore i am looking to make it as close to immaculate as i can.I have a bullet 65 as my regular ride, I love the pop pop sixties sound ,and if the matchless gives me that than maybe the enfield could be sold on,and the matchless replaces it,watch this space as i'm not sure.To rebuild is a good learning curve (my previous rebuilds i can be proud of was a Puch VZ50 and a Suzuki ap50 both 70's machines)this is a different "bitch" only with the help of this website and it's experienced readers can i rebuild my matchless.So far only the Enfields (hitchcocks website) and this site are the only 2 sites that have parts and experienced addicts for me the novice.So if i can for once give my "twopennuth" ( bet someone will correct me on that spelling)go for it join this club and buy parts from this club,and you and other Matchless owners can benefit.You are keeping something "British" or is it "English" not sure ,but does it matter anyway?.
Mike
Janet

Post by Janet »

quote:
Another sucker not doing their homework!!! Douglas
I prefer to think of him/her as just someone who didn't know any different. Don't forget, a bike is worth what someone is prepared to pay. To the buyer, it was worth more than it was to you or me. I would like to think that if he does appear here you will all offer encouragement and not treat him with disdain, or rip him off.
quote: "twopennuth" twopenn'orth, derived from two pennyworth

Well, I couldn't disappoint you could I?
Circlip

Post by Circlip »

Youve got the right bike there in the shed . The royal Enfield will not let you down. The Re is old but with new stuff on it . Disc brakes ,electronic ignition, "lights"Just the job.

Why go for a peice of 'bike' that has had the goodness knocked out of it. Thats why its for sale.

These bikes were built just after the war for people with no money and needed transport to get to work. Of course they have been bogged. Even the so called proffesionals bog em up, sometimes theres no parts, not real parts,-- not like the RE.

You only have to read the posts here" I have stripped this and I have twisted it now it wont fit what do I do? Ive repaired it but now it leaks and wont start!!! I hit it with a hammer and now its tight>

Royal Enfields Fabulous stuff.

ianrichards

Post by ianrichards »

Thanks for all the advice and comments. As and when I do go for a real classic then it will probably be a Matchless G80 of the 1950s era. I appreciate that it may not be as reliable as my new RE but I want the experience of rebuilding/renovating (and doing bathrooms, the kitchen, the drive ... my other have has just reminded me !!! at least she now knows that I am looking at another bike).
In the meantime I have joined the club and look forward to immersing myself in all things "Matchless"
Regards
Ian
Edited by - ianrichards on 24 Mar 2008 2:43:15 PM
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Properly maintained the G80 will be every bit as reliable as any Royal Enfield.

itma

Post by itma »

more so, I'd say having had experience of enfield gearbox and clutch
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Post by Rick.Edwards »

But they are not really Royal Enfields.
The piston ring King
Janet

Post by Janet »

quote:
But they are not really Royal Enfields.
Why not. Umlike in Britain they've been making Enfields in India for oodles of years. Maybe even a smidgeon more than an oodle.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Still manufacturing Morris Oxfords I think but they are not like the real thing either.
Chemists do it with test tubes