Steel clutch plates

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
assessor

Steel clutch plates

Post by assessor »

I recently tried to fit a new set of friction clutch plates to my 1950 G80S (CP clutch)I bought these from the club but found that they would not fit into the basket when put back with the existing steel plates( these are 70 thou), there was no space left to adjust,I have been told that it is ok to use B52 plates which are a little thinner at 60thou. I think the part is 6-X-5. Advice please.
bjork

Steel clutch plates

Post by bjork »

Yes you can use the thinner plates without problem, just make sure the size of the 'ears' is the same. There are also thinner clutch plates too, can't remember whether they are for CP or B52, but as long as the 'ears' or splines are right you're fine. My Own bike has a mixture of CP and B52 bits, Ernie Merryweather pointed out that people would have modified and repaired with later bits depending on what was available. It isn't an overworked clutch so you can get a nice light smooth action without too much effort!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
TommoT

Steel clutch plates

Post by TommoT »

I think the original B52 plates are just a little over 0.030" and they are necessary if you want to fit the original number of steel and friction plates. In practice you will find that one less of each will work fine.

...sorry just noticed you talked CP, but the clutch continued from the CP to B52 ? I think.Edited by - TommoT on 30 Mar 2008 10:57:20 PM
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Eric

Steel clutch plates

Post by Eric »

I too was going to say you could try leaving out one steel and and one friction plate as everything should be OK without, unless you are pulling a sidecar. Then when the friction plates have worn down a little in a few thousand miles you may have room to put them back.
wilko

Steel clutch plates

Post by wilko »

Ditto!!! Douglas