Kettering Classics

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Don Madden

Kettering Classics

Post by Don Madden »

I like Ken's, (ITMA's), pithy comments! Being an old git myself with the usual assorted pains & bothers I get irritated, too with some. I like curry, too. The spices can make a dull dish interesting.

Don't get too annoyed with us, we are here to help in our own pequiliar way, & don't bite too hard.

Cheers, Don.
markbaldry

Kettering Classics

Post by markbaldry »

Edited by - markbaldry on 06 Apr 2008 09:11:38 AM
markbaldry

Kettering Classics

Post by markbaldry »

quote:
check it out. ebay no. 120242114187
someone can build a bike around these two items and sell the resulting bitsa as genuine matching numbers machine at a matching numbers price
these numbers prove nothing and mean nothing unless the history of said bike is known from day one.
ride the bike not the number

yes i see what you mean! bit of a minefield seems this whole year/dating thing can be made to be anything you want really. so what makes a 1960(say) G12 a 1960 G12 not much!
itma

Kettering Classics

Post by itma »

Sense of humour test

will the numbers match?

Preview
[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/ ... mbers2.jpg[/IMG]

apologies to those who have seen it beforeEdited by - itma on 06 Apr 2008 4:20:21 PM

a little note, I drew the original of this for the Classic Motorcycle, years ago, they wouldnt use my version as the dealer it caricatured was too recognisable, by figure and spiel.Edited by - itma on 06 Apr 2008 4:43:00 PM
GSAX1

Kettering Classics

Post by GSAX1 »

I don't want to get into a brawl here but some people seem to imply that you EITHER have a machine that is rideable OR you have a machine with pedigree. I just want to say that it's possible to have both in one, but you have to be very choosy and be willing to pay the price.
itma

Kettering Classics

Post by itma »

Thats exactly the point,Micheal

Not out to start a brawl

BUT, unless you are VERY sure of yourself you need to listen to advice,and be prepared to take it even if it opposes the lines of previous thoughts.
And be aware of the numerous pitfalls and blind alleys waiting, and traps for the unwary.
I've lost count of the blokes I've met, who are put off old bikes by sinking vast sums of money into crap bikes from either source private or trade.

High standards come with prices to match, what you can't put a price on is the enjoyment you get, and that ought to come from just being on a bike and that surely is the object.

100£ + running old banger= happiness

10,000£+immaculateshowpiece=worry+plus no days out in the mire

anything in between has to be a bonus
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Kettering Classics

Post by Rick.Edwards »

oooh i wonder which dealer that could of been? Sadly there are even more like that now since the invention of the internet.
The piston ring King
markbaldry

Kettering Classics

Post by markbaldry »

quote:
Thats exactly the point,Micheal

Not out to start a brawl

BUT, unless you are VERY sure of yourself you need to listen to advice,and be prepared to take it even if it opposes the lines of previous thoughts.
And be aware of the numerous pitfalls and blind alleys waiting, and traps for the unwary.
I've lost count of the blokes I've met, who are put off old bikes by sinking vast sums of money into crap bikes from either source private or trade.

High standards come with prices to match, what you can't put a price on is the enjoyment you get, and that ought to come from just being on a bike and that surely is the object.

100£ + running old banger= happiness

10,000£+immaculateshowpiece=worry+plus no days out in the mire

anything in between has to be a bonus

thanks ITMA - and apologies for my previous comments on re-reading this thread i realise i completely over reacted to what you said and am totally ashamed of my comments.

this is my dilema i want a bike i can go out and have fun on but don't want something that blows up five miles down the road but has a bit of history!

i now realise that classic bikes are different from classic cars but i'm kind of feeling what makes a classic bike? is the history, design or spec? to be honest what i thought was going to be a fun plaything seems to be a can of worms.

the books and stuff i have been reading don't tell you any of this stuff which why i find it all so frustrating.Edited by - markbaldry on 06 Apr 2008 5:30:58 PMEdited by - markbaldry on 06 Apr 2008 9:48:31 PMEdited by - markbaldry on 09 Apr 2008 08:55:18 AM
itma

Kettering Classics

Post by itma »

I will tell you under plain cover if you wish, he's still about.

Last week on ebay,was a real mongrel with, among other goodies,
a frame made by two blokes down in dorset,
a green plastic tank and seat, CZ hubs,a BSA gearbox, Oh, and a numberless but BRAND NEW ex Plumstead G85CS engine.Was it still a Matchless??, in my book it is, it sold for 5.500 quids and if I could have topped it I would and I'd have bought a gorgeous Matchless Metisse
GSAX1

Kettering Classics

Post by GSAX1 »

Rick, internet gives us foreigners easy access to a vast amount of British bikes for sale, a market that was effectively closed to us before.

Nothing wrong with that from my point of view.

Michael