Fork inner tube removal on G9

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ChrisD200

Post by ChrisD200 »

Hi all. Thanks for the advice on removing the damper retaining bolt (see "Tools" lower down). But I still cannot get the inners or damper tubes out of the forks - they are loose and move up to the top of the outer leg. What seems to hold them in place is a metal ring near the top of the outer - is that a bush? If so how do I remove it?
Do I pull it hard, or is there a circlip I have yet to find? I only have parts list and images of the 1949 forks and the post 1953 forks not my 1951 version so am not sure of the design. Thanks, Chris
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Are you attempting to pull the damper tube through the stanchion or outer tube as you put it, if so it won't come. You need to remove the slider and remover the damper from the bottom.

The '53 version is the same as the '51, ignore the '49 as this doesn't have a damper tube, it has a shuttle arrangement.Edited by - Biscuit on 09 Apr 2008 09:42:14 AM

ChrisD200

Post by ChrisD200 »

Thanks Biscuit, But the damper won't come out. It has been loosened by removing the retaining bolt (from the axle clamps) but will not come out of the inner. I can see the base of the damper tube through the hole where the retaining bolt was and it is loose. But neither the damper nor the slider will move beyond the metallic ring at top of stanchion. It seems like the metallic ring (possible bush) is holding it all together. Should that 'bush' come out with heat and a strong pull on the slider? Cheers, Chris
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

quote:
Should that 'bush' come out with heat and a strong pull on the slider?

There should be an oil seal first (possibly already removed) and then the bush. Clamp the stanchion *firmly* making sure you don't damage it. Heat the slider around the top, and then tug on it *hard* and *sharply* - push it onto the stanchion and then yank it away again hard. There's the top-out spring in there to overcome too! ;-). I've done mine a couple of times now - once to change oil seals and bushes, the second when I replaced the stanchions (and seals and bushes). You have to be quite brutal, but I'm sure you'll manage. ;-)
Charles
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I can only repeat that the damper will not come out through the stanchion, the slider has to be removed as Chazzyb says.

I'm unsure what you mean by the bush at the TOP of the stanchion, there is one at the bottom that is effectively the bearing in the slider, this will not affecr removal of the damper.

ChrisD200

Post by ChrisD200 »

Thanks to all here, and to bag 'o nails as well, for helpful suggestions and data sources. I've just started with Matchless after a couple of years with a RE Bullet so much is new to me. Now I know how to remove the slider - heat hearty pull. Cheers
Chris
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

And always wrap rags or a towel aroung the top of the slider as hot fluid will fly!

Cheers, Don.
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

quote:
And always wrap rags or a towel aroung the top of the slider as hot fluid will fly!

Hmm. I generally drain my forks before operating. ;-)
Charles
bjork

Post by bjork »

quote:
quote:

Hmm. I generally drain my forks before operating. ;-)

Listen to Don! there is always a little bit left after draining, and that is the original little bit that goes a long way! And it invariably stinks too Wrap up well.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today