Mirrors and indicators

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
terry withey

Mirrors and indicators

Post by terry withey »

Terry Withey of darkest Tadley Gawd 'elp us here

Motorcycling is fun and being surprised by being overtaken unawares or turning across the path of a jugarnaut is doubly so.

So I think it's time to fit indicators so I can travel for miles still indicating a turn I made miles ago and having mirrors so I can see further round than the tip of my shoulder when I want to know who/what is behind me.

Your views and advice for what I should mount on a 6 volt 1953 AJS 18s would be very much appreciated. Not too keen on bar end mounted mirrors but don't tell health and safety.

regards tew
Merlin

Mirrors and indicators

Post by Merlin »

Why you not like bar ended mirrors I think they are great.Edited by - Merlin on 11 Apr 2008 11:43:21 AM
Chemists do it with test tubes
terry withey

Mirrors and indicators

Post by terry withey »

'cos I'm reluctant to cut the end of the grips, one of which is the original hard plastic? type. Silly really ennit? I've looked at the end bars thread and still haven't fully decided 'swy I'm looking for views and such. What's you views on indicators? Yeah or nay?

Regards tew
Janet

Mirrors and indicators

Post by Janet »

Find a place where the scooterboys get their bits. They have lovely mirrors with long stalks that clamp on almost anywhere. But don't overdo the quantity or you might get urges to buy a parka.Edited by - Janet on 11 Apr 2008 1:14:23 PM
Merlin

Mirrors and indicators

Post by Merlin »

Indicators are O.K. but not on my classic.However it depends on what type of motoring you do,I only do the back lanes around where I live.
Chemists do it with test tubes
bjork

Mirrors and indicators

Post by bjork »

Hello Terry, as you are still with 6volts it will limit your choice to non LED indicators only. If you have a good look round a proper accessory shop or catalogue, you should see a huge choice of pattern indicator lamps for Japanese bikes and mopeds. So you can decide whether black or chrome bodies and what type of fitting you prefer. There are stud fitting, clamp fitting and fairing types to choose from. The relay will be almost any 6v universal type, but see if you can get an electronic one as they are less affected by vibration or variable voltage. I'd probably choose black rubber types like those fitted to 1970's Yamaha trail bikes, fitted with 10 watt bulbs. If you go 12 volt there are a host of LED types that are less noticable (whilst switched off) and very bright (when switched on) Try to avoid the mini indicators fitted with 21 watt halogen bulbs-the bulbs vibrate to bits in no time. Well they do on twins anyway, haven't tried with a single yet.

For mirrors, the same suppliers have universal mirror mounts, again in chrome or black (or even fake carbon fibre)that clamp to the handlebars and have either an 8mm or 10mm threaded boss to fit your choice of mirror. Again there is a huge choice of pattern mirrors available from the same sources, you should find something that doesn't look too out of place and helps you relax in modern traffic as well.

MPS or Hein Gericke for instance are a starting point, but if you have a local old fashioned dealer they will probably have the lot available from wholesalers like 'Hi-Level' or 'Bickers' and a good few more. I found Hi-Level had the largest range and were cheapest too. Trade only, but a decent dealer should be able to at least let you choose from a picture catalogue and order them. Hope this helps.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
RogerJ

Mirrors and indicators

Post by RogerJ »

Paul Goff sells indicator kits (http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com) - he also tends to be at most of the shows/autojumbles.
jonhal

Mirrors and indicators

Post by jonhal »

Try Beedspeed for the 'scooter' type long mirrors www.beedspeed.com
I think the bar ends are an easier option than trying to mount standard indicators and not destroying the bike.
Beedspeed are also good for chroming.
Check my Arrow at www.vintagebike.co.uk to see how it all can look.(pictures by manufactuer, Ariel, towards the bottom)Edited by - jonhal on 12 Apr 2008 06:23:45 AM
bjork

Mirrors and indicators

Post by bjork »

Hi Jonhal, looked at your Ariel pics, very nice. I wondered about the bar end indicators, but didn't fancy drilling holes in handlebars for wiring. Am I right in thinking the wiring is internal?
Steve.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
jonhal

Mirrors and indicators

Post by jonhal »

Hi Steve,
yes you would need to drill one small hole at one end. They are single wires to thread through the bars and out of the hole to the flasher unit. Earth is through the indicators to the handlebars.
John