Harris G80 down pipes?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
renfield

Harris G80 down pipes?

Post by renfield »

The exhaust downpipes on my Harris G80 have rusted through at the collar where the clamp holds them to the head. Not bad after 22K miles in all weather riding over 10 years I suppose! Temporary welded repair was been done.
Anyone know where I can get replacements? A replacement 2into1 part where the pipes meet the silencer would be good too.
Renfield
jonhal

Harris G80 down pipes?

Post by jonhal »

Hi,
could be difficult.
Try Harris direct, they are a bit reluctant(ask for John Birch)
Can they not be welded and re-chromed.
Keihan systems could probably make a stainless set www.keihan.co.uk
Hawkshaw is worth checking.
Or try Peter Knight www.rotax.co.uk
or Sportax www.sportaxmotorcycles.com
They may be able to put you on to someone.
John
pto

Harris G80 down pipes?

Post by pto »

Your bike will be fitted with a Rotax engine also fitted to MZ, CCM, Armstrong and pos some others. The downpipes from one of these could fit your bike and may still be available
renfield

Harris G80 down pipes?

Post by renfield »

quote:
Your bike will be fitted with a Rotax engine also fitted to MZ, CCM, Armstrong and pos some others. The downpipes from one of these could fit your bike and may still be available

Thanks for that. Yes the good old ROTAX 500. I have recently had am MZ trail thing in my possession - downpipes on that model are different, as are those on the Armstrong MT. I have just sold pipes for a Rotax Jawa that I bought thinking they may fit but they fouled the frame. (still, I did make a profit on them!)
Rod
renfield

Harris G80 down pipes?

Post by renfield »

John, thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking that i would have to get a pair of pipes made - but I'l try the other options you suggest first.
willmorgan

Harris G80 down pipes?

Post by willmorgan »

Both exhaust pipes and the 'Y' 2 into 1 bit are available from Harris in either chrome or black. I bought some a few months ago!
jonhal

Harris G80 down pipes?

Post by jonhal »

quote:
Both exhaust pipes and the 'Y' 2 into 1 bit are available from Harris in either chrome or black. I bought some a few months ago!

What was the price for the down pipes?
John
renfield

Harris G80 down pipes?

Post by renfield »

hi guys.
Just thought I'd give you an update - I managed to locate a pair of used pipes (very good cond.) and they were only 30 miles away from me. Had to pay a really high price though - a whole tenner for the pair! I was chuffed with that.
That was back in the summer. Took the old pipes off last weekend, and lo... the 'Y' could really do with replacing too, so I'll try for a new one. The silencer end has been helded at some point too so I may fit something non standard. (but am I right in believing the G80 shares it's silencer type with some Guzzi models...?

Ride safe
Renfield
jonhal

Harris G80 down pipes?

Post by jonhal »

[quote]
am I right in believing the G80 shares it's silencer type with some Guzzi models...?

Not quite, some are similar. Check out www.feked.com.
I have tried a few types, mainly because I dont want to pay too much! Finally bought a Motad stainless universal (on ebay) and a Royal Enfield pipe bend to give the uplift.