Hi, guess what, it's ME.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
paul knapp

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by paul knapp »

G'day brian, not wanting to give you 'information overload', but, you say that you removed plug caps to establish which cylinder was not firing.
This is not a good idea if the motor is running, because the high electrical discharge which was destined for the spark plug, has to be discharged somewhere and can cause internal tracking and insulation break down on the magneto armature if the safety gap screws are missing or are already eroded away.

With the new plug tops, ensure they are NOT resistor ones, and dont let any one sell you a spark plug with a letter'R' in the specification, until you have sorted the problem.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Karaokebrian

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Well Guys, I owe you all a big drink. thank you all for your advice. I followed CR,s advice as the least expensive to start with great apprehension after this mornings attempt to start the old girl, absolutely nothing. Gutted. So got new leads, (cable type) new plugs, B7ES, (amazed at the amount of corrosion between cable and Magneto connection, (you know the little plastic bit that clips on the Mag. Come on try and keep up! New plug tops not arrived so fitted old ones temp, STROKED Kickstart. Walla, first time burst into life.
Well pleased. Now this is where we go downhill a bit. went and collected new tops this afternoon, fitted, Oh Joy, sounded like the purr I used to hear 52 years ago. Overjoyed till I recieved message from Paul, first part very understandable, thanks Paul only to find I have fitted the wrong tops namely NGK LB05F (resistor fitted). Paul do you want me to change them?
Paul if you live near Perth, I will buy you a drink next January, to the rest of the guys, (God bless you) Hope to meet you all one day. What a shame you are not on Skype, we could have talked and I could have sent you some pix's of my bike. End of Story for now just got to address the mixture fingy. Brian.
itma

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by itma »

everybody wants you to change those plug caps pronto
Karaokebrian

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Itma, What do you suggest I change them for, I.E NGK??? and do you have any idea why it is so important? I WILL change them, I promise. Brian.
Karaokebrian

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Itma, Been on the net. It looks as if it's the NGK LZFH Spark plug cover is the one I really want.
(No Resistor) so thats the ones I will order tomorrow. Brian.

Eric. Thanks for your contribution. No I don't use unleaded, I use leaded 4 star. Hope thats OK. Open to suggestions. Brian.
itma

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by itma »

In laymans terms resistor plug caps bugger your magneto.
In more layman terms you are flushing money down the toilet paying out for leaded 4 star.
not necessary as the majority here will concur.
do a search here for unleaded and be up all night reading about it
paul knapp

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by paul knapp »

quote: Paul if you live near Perth, I will buy you a drink next January,

Good on yer Brian, yes, I am in the next big city east of Perth, only about 1,750 miles due east! (and virtually nothing in between).....pop over!
...Oh, and make mine a 'Coopers Pale Ale'

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Karaokebrian

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi guys, Lectrics, all ok now thanks to you. Took your advice this morning went on our first 30 mile run. Trip went fine, return to home, disaster. Have discovered I have developed a really sh***y oil leak. Oil dripping from the chain case area, but I am 95% sure this is not the problem as when I removed the band for polishing and the rubber band for checking no oil escaped and it appeared that the previous owner had sealed the two halves together, This leak from first impression seen to come from behind the case. The outcome is that oil splattered over the rear wheel and the hub, which appears to have been carried back there by the chain which is very shiney and looks very well lubriciated. I am further confused as the was oil splattered on the rear of the crankcase, in an area just in front of the cut out button on the mag. Really confused now. Please does anyone have any idea how I can carry out any test to establish the source if the leak. As always any advice will be appriciated. CR, thank you for the link. Itma. Will use unleaded in future. Paul, Coopers Pale Ale, it is. Thank you friends. Regards , Brian.
Karaokebrian

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by Karaokebrian »

O,ops, forgot, would like to check the gear box for oil, what is the reccommended grade , please?
Biscuit
Deceased

Hi, guess what, it's ME.

Post by Biscuit »

The oil could be from the gearbox or from an over full chaincase.

Sent a PM regarding manuals for oils etc.