Frame numbers and age related number plates

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
REW

Post by REW »

A colleague has bought (unwisely it seems)a "1959" G80S. The engine certainly is but the frame has no discernable frame number (we have looked in all locations suggested on this forum)and the registration number on the plate is off another mahine!

After much hoo ha DVLA/police want to give it a Q plate but they will, if it can be proven to be a 1959 bike, issue an age related number.

I have looked for a frame part number and have raised numers from two lugs on the seat tube - the lower large casting for the swing arm mount is 022270 which is close to numbers in 1956 parts lists, and 022367 on a smaller T shaped lug above that.

Can a part number be related to years like this? Any other way to prove it is a 1959 (or any other year for that matter?)

All suggestions considered as the bike will make an excellent 50's style machine for regular use, but a Q plate, hmmm...
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
itma

Post by itma »

Resist a Q plate at all costs, you may find it near impossible to insure, and difficult to sell.
Is it a single downtube frame or a twin?

A bad person would take a look at a similar machine and note the number, and where it is on the frame and perhaps, maybe,they would find if they scraped away all the paint in that location that a near number in that series was to be found after all, or another bad person would simply buy a frame half similar that is scrap/ rusty/ bent and stamp that number on the frame, destroying the other frame after.
These of course are very bad things to do, and I do not and would not advocate such bad practices, I merely show you the sort of things bad people might do.
I hope there are no bad people on this forum?
First port of call as to be the dating officer tho'

All fair in love and dealing with the establishment lackies
It would certainly seem to be an "unwise buy"
REW

Post by REW »

Thanks ITMA; I agree with ideas and sentiments. Who's bad? Not me gov...
Any ideas on frame part nums by the way? Its a single down tube and looks late 50s.Edited by - REW on 04 Jun 2008 12:50:29 PM
Ron

Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Is there no comeback on the vendor?

REW

Post by REW »

Sadly not - he turned out to be a bit of an, um, crook and redress highly unlikely. The bike itself is really very good if it can gain a reasonable identity.
I daren't go on too much to my colleague about being unwise etc - he has lost a lot of heart as it is - I wasn't involved in the purchase sadly. So, an old "registered" knackered frame then perhaps?
Ron

itma

Post by itma »

I would think a replacement frame of that era quite easy and cheap to come by, perhaps even with a logbook...If it was any good perhaps the bits could be built into that frame?
If the bike is as "good" as its history then this may not be a bad way to go; I bet that its a real pig in a poke.
Once a bitza always a bitza, but nonetheless a decent bike.
This once again shows the wisdom of getting advice before you buy anything, thats what this forum/club/cynical old gits are for
Someone here had a refurbished frame and stuff for sale lately

I think, considering that these bikes had such a long run of parts that dating by part number, unless specific to one year. is impoosibleEdited by - itma on 04 Jun 2008 1:27:55 PM

04 Jun 2008 1:30:26 PMEdited by - itma on 04 Jun 2008 1:33:40 PM
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

AMC Classic spares has many frames, most with dating certificate, some with V5's. Whether the dating certificates are acceptable to DVLA is unclear.

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

If the dating certificate is from AMOC it is acceptable to DVLA as we are a recognised authority.

Luckily no-one has told them about me or ITMA's 'bad people'
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

But they don't say whether the dating certificates are from AMOC, which is why I said it was unclear. I'll have to type larger characters.

itma

Post by itma »

However a dated frame with a V5 purchased from a reputable source and a switch over of parts would seem to be the most, and in the end, least troublesome & straightforward solution, also giving the opportunity to give the rest of this bike a through going over in the process and sorting the inevitable and inbuilt cock ups.
And nobody is a "bad" person
A bike is a bike is a bike despite being a bitza, which all said and done is no shame