Headlight Switch

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Re: Headlight Switch

Post by 56G80S »

Back on this topic again!

Now I've removed the handlebar fairing my temporary fix of double sided tape is revealed to the world at all times. both on the ammeter and the headlight switch. The switch and ammeter working fine, though I seem to have a 4 position switch in place. I hate doing this electrical stuff as it seems no sooner is one thing done then the fiddling around creates a new problem

If anyone knows of a source for the spring clip then I'd love to know.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

Johnny next time I am in the garage I will look in my box of switch parts and see if I have any spare ones.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Wassells are the main supplier but they're not available, again!
clive

Post by clive »

clive wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:01 pm Johnny next time I am in the garage I will look in my box of switch parts and see if I have any spare ones.
Forgot. Will try to remember next time I go. :oops:
clive
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Biscuit wrote: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:17 pm Study how the circlip fits before you fit the switch to the headlamp. When fitting the circlip the rubber ring under the switch needs to be compressed as far as possible to insert the clip.
Aha! There's a a rubber ring? I have the spring clip, but the switch has always moves around a bit - now I know why. Does the spares scheme have them, or do I need to find something else?

Malc
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

One option is to give me some ideas that can make use of the 3d printer I have here. I have some TPU (rubber) but have not tried to print with it yet. But ABS does a fairly good job of insulating.
clive

Post by clive »

If the switch is "byko" I don't gave the clip I am afraid. I usually use a load of silicone sealant. It's relatively easy to get off and it tends to grip quite well and us likely to stop vibration.
clive
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

Rubber ring: Standard o-ring from a bearings supplier 2 x 40 mm, from memory, better check the diameter. If it is the black U39 Lucas switch?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks chaps. I'll book mark this.

Unfortunately, I will be taking the Matchless to my car garage very soon this afternoon (great day for a ride) where it will be stored in the paint shop (covered) until I can find a news home/workshop. So there'll be no progress on this, or refurbishing the front forks and Jampots, for some time. Anyhow, carpal tunnel op coming Monday and no right hand use for 4-6 weeks apparently.

Good thing is the proprietor is also a motorcyclist.

Johnny B