Which Matchless should I buy??

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
IainMacInnes

Post by IainMacInnes »

Hello,

Last year I uploaded some old photos (circa 1950's) of my uncle's Matchless, asking if anyone could help identify the model - the pictures didn't show a lot of the bike. Anyway I received several helpful replies which I was really greatful for.

When I was young(about 10 years old) and visiting my Uncle I used to play on his bike in his shed(ex war bike possibly G3). I think this is were I got the bike bug. Subsequently I've had a bikes since I was 14 and am now 40.... all the usual ZXR, GPZ etc..etc... I currently have a Sherco!

Anyway, I have now decided to buy a Matchless myself. 350, 500 or above. Looking for something fairly relaiable for short runs. I do like single sprung seat models (must be my uncle's bike again). I'm sure everyone thinks there bike is the best, but I would really appreciate some advise and for someone to point me in the right direction with regards to purchasing. Regards, Iain MacInnes, Inverness, Scotland

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Iain,
I came back to biking after a long time thinking a 650 would be nice but then the brain operated and I settled for a G3LS easily handled with plenty of spares available,think I could now manage a 500 single.
Best Wishes
Merlin
Chemists do it with test tubes
legg

Post by legg »

I have fond memories of a '51 G80 Matchless with a rigid frame and a single sprung seat. Everyone has their favourites!
Urbsam

Post by Urbsam »

Hello Iain,

I think a G3L (or a AJS16)is a nice bike to start with. I don´t know how the price is in England but here in Sweden You got much bike for the money if You buy a 350.
Most people here are searching for the 500cc.

Before I bought my first (AJS) a was reading Roy Bacons restoration book for learning more about the bikes before buying any of them

Bästa hälsningar, Urban
itma

Post by itma »

seconded
A rigid frame 350 of either marque is a lovely little bike, trouble free and if well set up, ride and forget; in my jaundiced view a great bike for a novice and not over expensive
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

In agreement with itma whatever next.
Chemists do it with test tubes
snatchpiece

Post by snatchpiece »

Well I've got a twin and I love it, and so does my missus.

When I was a kid I used to lust after Triumph Bonnevilles, now I've grown I prefer G12's. My other bike's a Triumph and belive me they aint built anywhere near as good as good old Plumsteads.

So you buy whatever takes your fancy.
A clever man can guess a woman's age,
A wise man never does.
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

Iain,I would go along with Ken (Itma)a half decent 350 would be a good starting place and probably allow you to "sharpen up" your spannering skills.Be wary of anything offered to you that has been "renovated" unless,of course you have ABSOLUTE confidence in the seller/restorer.Unfortunately ,like myself,you don't have the benefit of a local AMOC section to guide you through the maze,but my advice is to take your time,read up on all the info about the club and this excellent web-site,and be extremely wary of anything offered via Ebay....unless ,of course ,you can go and view before you buy.Good luck,and keep us informed of your decision,there are lots of people who contribute here who will be more than willing to keep you on the "straight and narrow". PS.Have a look in the "Adverts" section above,and check out the clubs own sales scheme ,Kettering Classic Motorcycles,which has alink from this site.Crawford.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
itma

Post by itma »

Any AMC macnine for preference, goes without saying.
BUT
its his first oldie.
Therefore, read the posts here about problems encountered.
Then decide
single or twin.
easy to work out.
mick williams

Post by mick williams »

Get yerself a WDG3L or G3. Mechanicaly almost everything is still available ( best to get as near complete as possible). A big pot of Khaki Green paint is all you need to restore it!!
And it sounds like that was what you played with when you were a kid!

Joking aside, what ever you choose you will find a wealth of knowledge to help you on your way on this site, and through your local section.
RIDE FREE AND STAY UPRIGHT