Matchless 1961 G3, Clutch Action.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Bush

Post by Bush »

Hello Folks,
AMC Gearbox & Clutch.

I hesitate to raise this query as it may seem a little basic to the more mechanically proficient amongst our members. My problem is that The clutch lever action on my G3 is very poor, being both heavy and harsh. My attempts to cure the problem so far have been to:-

1. Check handlebar lever for smooth action without cable, and lubricate pivot.
2. Replace clutch cable, pressure lubricate, make sure handlebar nipple is free in lever. Ensure smoothest run possible for cable.
3. Check alignment of clutch actuating lever in gearbox to make sure it has straight pull from cable. Lubricate lever roller and ball bearing.
4.Check straightness of push rod.
5.Check clutch spring cups. (They were scored, so this leads me to suspect the problem lies here) Smoothed off cups and applied smear of graphite grease.

The three studs securing the springs are rigid. My memory may be playing tricks on me(it's thirty years since I last had a Matchless) but I seem to recall that on some clutches these studs have a degree of free movement presumably to allow for self alignment of the cups. Should this be the csse with an AMC clutch.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Keith.

K L Bush
wilko

Post by wilko »

AMC clutches have studs that are solidly mounted via the thin shouldered nuts at the other end and staked, thus they don't float as in the Burman system. When i say float i don't mean like a Butterfly!! Drugless.
Bush

Post by Bush »

Thanks Wilko, that's one theory eliminated then.
K L Bush
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

If clutch action at the lever is heavy you are correct in checking the items mentioned. You seem to have missed one important check: the handlebar lever must be the correct type with a 7/8" distance between pivot bolt and nipple centres. A common type used on other marques had 1" between the centres and they will make lever action heavier. Finally the clutch springs could either be tightened too much, so that they compress before lever action has come to an end. Also rubbing on the cups could be a factor.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Bush

Post by Bush »

Thanks TommoT,

I have measured the clutch lever and it is 7/8". (I believe it's actually the original lever. The bike is a very low mileage ex. AFS machine) It's looking more and more as though the problem lies with the cups and springs. Either the springs binding inside the cups or the cups on the clutch centre. For what they cost I think I will order a new set from Jampot Spares. I will post the results of my efforts as soon as I have them.
Of course it could be that what I now consider to be a heavy clutch would have seemed fine to me thirty years ago.

Regards
Keith.
K L Bush