First Ride

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Biscuit
Deceased

First Ride

Post by Biscuit »

Whilst I have the 'Dove' ignition cutout, don't be lulled into a false sense of security, if the earth wire comes adrift the engine can be started with the tap in the 'off' position. Remedy - check the connection regularly.

deshollier
Deceased

First Ride

Post by deshollier »

Freddie, my understanding is that a dry sump works best if it scavenged all the time and that serious amounts of oil in it will leak out from various points until it is back to its normally'dry' state. I also reasoned (rightly or wrongly) that if wet sumping can be dealt with by running the engine to transfer the oil back to the tank, then what would be the point in fitting an anti wet sumping valve? Perhaps our resident experts can shed more light on this?
paul knapp

First Ride

Post by paul knapp »

Des, when the oil level rises up to the drive side crank shaft bearing in the crank case, it will (unless an oil seal is fitted) flow into the primary drive, flooding it, where it will find its way to the rear tire and also possibly cause clutch slip/drag problems.
If the bike is left on the side stand, all this will happen that much more quickly.
Also, if the oil control rings can't handle all the excess oil thrown up on the bore by the fly wheels, the oil will pump into the combustion chamber, and in some cases, wetting the spark plug and causing the engine to smoke and throw the unburned oil into the exhaust and dribble out the engine pipe to head rebate, or out the tail pipe onto the ground.
The twins with gear pumps quickly pull this oil up back to the tank, but for singles with reciprocating pumps, this scavenging process takes longer, and it is best to drain the sump via the drain plug.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

deshollier
Deceased

First Ride

Post by deshollier »

Thanks Paul, very clear and concise.
mick williams

First Ride

Post by mick williams »

quote:
the Dove switch earths the mag so it can't spark in the off position

Thanks for that info Peter.

Thanks Alan and Paul for the clarification.

The old WD side stands (and most likley later ones of the same design) have a habit of bending from what I've heard on this forum. The reason mine is nice and straight is I never use it unless I have no choice having experience of all of the above that Paul described.

My greatest fear regarding these valves is something going wrong and the engine being able to start without an oil supply should the valve fail in some way internally. Having recently decoked and checked out the head and rocker box I was very pleased to find very little wear anywhere, and given the price, and availability of parts etc for this old machinery, I will still think long and hard before buying one of these gismos.

I would be gratefull for the opinions of the likes of Alan, Ken, Sprid and Don etc (in no particular order). Do I leave well alone and live with a bit of wet sumping from time to time like they did when my machine was first built (well most of it!), or is this the best thing since sliced bread

PS This should be interesting

Regards MickEdited by - mick williams on 27 Aug 2008 12:36:00 PM
RIDE FREE AND STAY UPRIGHT
itma

First Ride

Post by itma »

I have two singles, both rigids, one never wet sumps, the other, the WD one over a long period does, but then again it is not used a lot these days.
Before starting it I look inthe tank and check the level, if its well down I drain it out and put it back via a filtered funnel.
If its only a bit down I start it and run it for a bit, a bit smokey on the exhaust thats all.
I never leave it parked for long on the side stand.
I see no need to spend money on something I then need to worry about.
I don't like gadjets; it ends up with one buying a car with rain sensing wipers, if you dont know when to switch the wipers on, should you be driving?
mick williams

First Ride

Post by mick williams »

Firstly.

Sorry Fred for highjacking your thread but I think this will interest alot of people, regardless of the fact this subject must have been covered a million times before on this forum.

Thanks for your input Ken, and a very valid point. My WD does not see much service over the winter and seems pretty typical if yours is anything to compare by.

Personally I love gadgets but not just for the sake of having more toys to play with or more buttons to push (and on the flip side, more to go wrong).

If it is something that will offer a true benefit or improve saftey, then I'm all for it.

My car is a non turbo deisel with no fancy gadgets, the mirrors are adjusted and windows open and shut Mechanically rather than electrically. Most servicing I can do myself without the need for a computerised diagnostics kit!

Getting back to the matter in hand. I am still in the 'leave well alone' camp at the moment!

RIDE FREE AND STAY UPRIGHT
SPRIDDLER

First Ride

Post by SPRIDDLER »

What 'e said, plus (of course)...
I've not experience wet sumping at all on my '54 H/W 350.
Unless I'm fettling I always leave it on the side stand.
It had a tap fitted when I bought it - like a connector for a washing machine hose.
In spite of stretching a 'reminder' bungee from the tap fitting to the handlebars whenever parked I twice left the pub and drove about 5 miles before turning it on. I removed the tap operating lever when I rebuilt the engine.
It's rarely parked for more than 3 days at a time all year round though.
And I've been running on 20/50
(Changing back to mono though when I've finished the current rebuild)
BTW Fred, took my younger son's lovely aussie Miss Pretty out on my Plumstead machine for 20 mile spin through the sunny lanes a couple of weeks ago. Es we cheps doo. (Given half a chance for cuddle)
She loved it to bits and didn't want to stop.
She's bought a very attractive pink helmet and signed up for her CBT. Wants a retro Vespa GT though. Soon change that! 125 AJS p'raps?

Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 27 Aug 2008 3:34:30 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
freddie 136

First Ride

Post by freddie 136 »

Thanks for the replys chaps, don't worry about highjacking thread,very interesting, My G11 [600 twin] returns the oil from wet sumping [about a pint] in no time with out any other apparent problems,never leave it on side stand though, but might in future drain and refill after reading your good advice,thanks Fred.

p.s. i know not all bikes have centre stands, my Triumph Daytona only has side stand but i allways put a block of wood under side stand to keep bike just off verticle to keep it safe from falling over and takes some wieght off the lower fork leg.
crawsue

First Ride

Post by crawsue »

Yeah,yeah,but think of all the effort Merc & Beemer drivers have to make to switch on wipers....you've got to move one hand off the steering wheel and move a lever ,for gawds sake!Next thing you'll want them to lift a hand to acknowledge that you've let them out at a junction.......AS IF!
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?