Rear Wheel Bearings

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
jamster

Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by jamster »

Well i got my wheel bearings yesterday and they look to be well engineered. They measure the same as the old ones so i will be looking at putting them in tonight.
New seals and woodruff keys as well as one of the woodruffs was missing and the seals were really tired.
Apart from warming the hub up before putting them in are there any tips i may need to know.

ps i love just being in the garage and looking at this bike, i should have got one years ago. The bug has definately bitten
GSAX1

Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by GSAX1 »

Good that you love being in the garage expect to spend some time there .
legg

Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by legg »

quote:

Apart from warming the hub up before putting them in are there any tips i may need to know.

You can drop the bearings in the freezer for half an hour.
Cheers!
jamster

Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by jamster »

Bearings all in and adjusted as per what i`ve read just nipped to ensure there fully home and then backed off half a turn. Actually backed off 3/4 but think i`ll need to just give it a short spin up the alley to get the outer races to relax and move back as there is no play to be felt at the moment. The wheel spins freely but i need to feel some movment in the hub.
Its a strange setup when you think your adjusting an outer race that is tight in the hub so it will need something to move it back after being wound in in the first place.

New corks in the petrol taps and not leaking now but still think i would like some different ones that still look the part.
itma

Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by itma »

you need to check play at the rim, not the hub.
Thats where the MOT man looks.
period taps, you have a choice of flat slide with corks;
barrel slide with cork;
tapercock tap
They all leak from time to time, its part of the game.
If you really really wany to play with taps, Biscuit has expounded here at length on the subject of alternatives, and with photos also.
jamster

Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by jamster »

spoke to a guy at amc spares and he reakons that the brass lever taps are about the only ones worth fitting so may get some of them