G12CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Brian Bayliss

G12CSR

Post by Brian Bayliss »

Alan, coming along very nicely I see. Does yours have the siamese pipes with the lovely upswept muffler? Any ideas on where I can get this type? I know most had twin pipes but much prefer the upsept siamese & shorter silencer. All the best, Brian.
B. Bayliss
alan humphrey

G12CSR

Post by alan humphrey »

Brian, yes she is coming along slow but sure, i have to take my time this is my first total rebuild. Have the barrells and new pistons fitted now after rebore,also fitted new valve guides and springs. All the G12 csr models in the uk were fitted with siamease pipes from new (as far as i no) . No problem to get thease armours of bounmouth do a complete range, i think i have seen the ones you mention that turn up at the end at feked.com they also do a range of amc pipes and silencers.
regards Alan.
Brian Bayliss

G12CSR

Post by Brian Bayliss »

Alan, thanks, checked feked.com but no up-turned variety. Good parts inventory though, especially Avon tires. The Jampot site shows an US Apache with that system. I'll adapt some if I have to. After many restorations, Armors stuff either fits or not from my experience. You take your chances with them. They have quite the reputation (& not good) over here. Also can you (or someone) tell me what goes on the end of the inlet camshaft as mine just has what seems to be a cap with 4 holes in it(breather?) obviously something missing but don't know what. Wish I could send pic. but won't work for me. I'm a self confessed idiot when it comes to a computer. Thanks, B.
B. Bayliss
alan humphrey

G12CSR

Post by alan humphrey »

Brian, if you go on to feked .com ,then exhaust, then A J S /MATCH ,at the very end of that section it shows the pipes you are looking for under c s siamease pipes 650cc 1960-on.
I believe that the cap with the four holes in on the end of the inlet camshaft is just a breather as mine is the same and nothing is missing.
You have me worried about my exhaust seystem now as i have to buy one and was probably going to go to armours, i want to keep mine as it left the factory with std siamease pipes and silencer as my bike was a factory bike and was used by the factory as a marshals bike at the 1961 TT races in the isle of man, i am trying to get the bike back to as near to origernal as i can. Then in 2011 the 50year anniversary i intend to ride the tt circuit on race week, hope the above helps you regards alan.
Brian Bayliss

G12CSR

Post by Brian Bayliss »

Alan, I'll be Damned, those are close but will only fit with the comp. footrest seemingly. I'll figure something out. Sorry to put you off with the Armors story. I restored a 56 TR6 last year, ordered pipes from them & they fit to perfection! Did the same with a 64 Hornet & they were a joke. UN-RETURNABLE also if you remove the paper from them so be VERY sure they fit prior to unwrapping. (Something they DON'T tell you when ordering!)You are a bit closer than me for returning anyway. It seems the "Junk" comes here to the US in hopes it never gets returned. Thanks for the breather info. Sure looks like somethings missing, but I guess not. B.
B. Bayliss