G 11.

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
freddie 136

G 11.

Post by freddie 136 »

Hello, I am looking for your help once again,my 1958 G11, [600 twin] as started to be quite difficult to start,i put a new carb on 4/5 months ago fitting the correct size carb as per the instruction book. I have also changed the plugs to NGK B7SE,the points look o.k. as does the gap, i have not touched any thing to do with the timing. The bike kicks back a lot when i try to start it and some times sound like its blowing back through the carb also,it can take me five minutes to get it started,thing is once its been running for a minute or two i can stop it and then re start it with in two or three kicks, but it just kicks back all the time from cold,any help would be appreciated.
petert120r

G 11.

Post by petert120r »

petert120r

G 11.

Post by petert120r »

Check your advance/retard cable. If that's OK take the cap off the magneto and ensure that the cam ring is rotating clockwise to its stop when you pull the handlebar lever towards you.
Brian Bayliss

G 11.

Post by Brian Bayliss »

Sounds like too advanced. Also check the choke cable & slide for FULL on/off operation
B. Bayliss
wilko

G 11.

Post by wilko »

Also, don't be tempted to use the throttle when you're swinging through! Don't try it on a single with fixed timing!!!
freddie 136

G 11.

Post by freddie 136 »

Hello again,Thank you for your speedy replys much appretiated. I have just had a look at the mag and it's control lever,and have ajusted the cable at the mag end, when i was pulling the lever it was not moving the ring in the mag for the first half of its travel,so now i have taken up the slack.From the front position to the levers back position it is pulling the ring in the mag approx 7/8 mm, clock wise [is this about right]? Dont know if this is to the stops,can you please enlighten me re the stops.Sorry but not up to scratch with mag ignition,and am i right in thinking that to retard the ignition i pull the lever towards me.thanks once again,cheers Fred
petert120r

G 11.

Post by petert120r »

If you undo the small bolt that secures the contact breaker assembly and GENTLY lever it off you will see the stop and how the cam ring abuts against it. Do not overtighten the cable otherwise you will be running slightly retarded - there should be about 1/16 play on the handlebar lever before the cam ring begins to move. Lever towards you = retard; push to full advance one the engine is running.
freddie 136

G 11.

Post by freddie 136 »

Hi, thanks again for your help,i have had the bolt out of the centre of the points plate in the mag but cant get it out,tried pulling and twisting it but dont like to over do it in case i snap some thing. is the addvance and retard cable fixed to this assembly or to some thing else in the back of the mag,cheers Fred
laxy

G 11.

Post by laxy »

Hi Freddie, the cable engages with a metal "toggle" which in turn engages in a slot cut into the rear of the cam ring.
As the handle bar lever is pulled towards you so the cable tightens and pulls the cam ring clockwise into the advanced position.
If you look at the cam ring at the six oclock position you will see a small hole.This is so that every now and then you can lubricate the cam ring.Gently hook a small piece of wire into this hole and the cam ring can be withdrawn.You may need to turn the points assembly slightly to make this easier.Again at the six oclock position and on the rear edge of the camring you willfind a small cutaway.This cutaway engages with a small pin that you can now see in the magneto body.This cutaway is the distance that the cam ring can turn when the cable is tightened or slackened by means of the handlebar lever.
The best thing about this setup is that if the cable snaps when you are out on the road the spring at the mag end pushes the cam ring to the fully advanced position(fully anti clockwise)
laxy

G 11.

Post by laxy »