Air Filter fitting issues

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
simonmcdowell

Post by simonmcdowell »

Thanks Don,

My bike has bolt on bottom frame rails \ rear loop, and I am using a clamp around the top tube for the head steady. I must have the single touring frame.

Thanks Si
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I'm thinking of fitting a filter to my G80S for the first time in 30 years - but was planning to use one of those little foam jobs from someone like Sammy Miller.

What's doing a proper job going to cost - could you share?

Johnny B
simonmcdowell

Post by simonmcdowell »

The job has cost me about £50. I found the reproduction filter on an ebay shop, and ordered the rubber intake tube from Russel motors. When I bought the air filter it was listed for a G9 \ G11, but had the same part number as my bike (1956 G80). Although the filter is the same I believe the filter brackets may be slightly different, as the do not seem line up with any mounting point on my frame. If you are not bothered with originality, I would probably go with the round type filter that fits directly onto the mouth of the carb. I have never used one myself, but They seem to be more freely available and cheeper.

I hope this helps I am fairly novice to this

Si
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers.

I think I'll go the simplest, cheapest route. I wouldn't do anything "unreversable" to the Matchless, but am not concerned about originality for a part like this - the carb is the concentric that was on when I got it 30 years ago which is probably why the tickover is erratic to say the least.

But I am pleased that AMC Classic Spares has come up with a frame cover to replace the original I lost. Prompt service, accurate description of condition and 10 quid.

I can remember using one of those round things years ago, but not sure if it was on the Matchless or another bike. I do recall that I had trouble keeping it in place!

Johnny B
56G80S

Re: Air Filter fitting issues

Post by 56G80S »

Air cleaner 022346.jpg
Reviving this very useful thread.

I'm now well over 1k probably pushing towards 2k since the rebuild on the 1956 G80S and am planning to fit an air cleaner.

I have an unused "pancake" style one but I haven't fitted it. I recall that back in the day they always were coming loose/falling off probably due to incompetent fitting. I will fit it but expect to loose it.

The original looks like a much better option . As this was last discussed about 18 years ago has supply become easier, the parts aren't listed on an AMOC Parts search. A quick online search showed the kind of result that the PO listed and I also found this image which looks like the G80S except the oil filler cap is different.

Also, pointless doing this if the adaptor for the Monobloc to air cleaner is not available or come to that replacement elements!

Your thoughts please

Johnny B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groily

Post by Groily »

If originality isn't a particular issue and if there's space and your concentric has a threaded bit on the intake . . . these don't fall off - or at least this one never did. On a 389 on a Beesa, but available for most carbs still, I'm sure.
Passes the 'cheap and simple' and 'nothing irreversible' tests and don't look too horrible (to my eyes).
A(ir) filter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MartinAmes

Post by MartinAmes »

I have a G11 and bought the same filter assembly. Neither of the bracket holes matched, and I had to make some adaptor plates. It is a very tight fit next to the oil tank. Martin
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi grolly did you have to alter the jetting at all ? Or will that type of air filter just go straight on with no carb alterations?
Groily

Post by Groily »

Didn't change a thing Chris. Ran like a train, as it always did, but without the induction hiss. Shame they won't go on my twins - but should be space on singles I would guess, what with the angle of dangle.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks Bill. Always think its very strange that we take great pains to ensure good clean filtered oil but then allow all sorts of muck in through unfiltered air .