G12 &G15 swinging arm bushes

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

Does any one know how to fit the steel sleeve pin on the later 1960 twin duplex frames to the swinging arm, with out the correct reamer for the phosphor bronze bushes? or do you have to use a reamer on the phosphor bronze bushes, before the steel pin can be pushed in? Can the bushes be lapped in, or would it be possible to use some form of gring paste to get the pin to push home? What oil is recommended, as the hand book states SAE 140.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John, you have probably answered your own question; the only way to do it is the proper way.

The red book refers to loosing off the cotter pins then “knock together the two tubular members” to remove end play that can be mistaken for wear.

I replaced the spindle in mine that had some localised corrosion and that resolved all of the movement issues.

My manual refers to using “Heavy Duty Oil”, I use 85/140 that I also use in my Guzzi drive box, I last brought 4l of Q8 brand from my local Countrywide store for about £10, enough to last years.

The bushes are Oilite type so will adsorb oil and self lubricate, as there are only felt washers to hold the oil in it will leak out, its is just a question of how long it takes really. I have heard of these bushes described as the forgotten bearings keep them oiled regularly.

Some may recommend using grease or a grease oil mixture so that it stays in place longer I have not tried this and do not intend to so can not comment as to its effectiveness.

Lastly don’t on any occasion use grinding paste to make a bush fit, no matter how much you think you have cleaned it some paste will remain wedged in the soft bush metal waiting to accelerate wear of the component when reassembled.
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

Duncan thank you for your comments, and i shall do as you suggest. Roy and Steve have also made some good suggested that i can now use. The frame is a 1965 N15CS one, that came back from North America, and had some frame damage. I have now obtained all the swinging parts, and as the frame was down to it basic structure, i felt this was a good time to replace the swinging arm bearings.