Re-aligning a Centre Stand

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
snatchpiece

Post by snatchpiece »

The centre stand on my 59 G12 is twisted, splayed and generally misshapen, during the winter I intend to remove it and restore it to its true shape (or at least a shape that works). I've done a search on stands to try and determine what material they are made of and the consensus is malleable cast iron, the question I have is can this material be bent back into shape when cold or should it be heated first? the reason I'm asking is because in my simplistic way of thinking it wasn't heated to become splayed and twisted in the first place!
A clever man can guess a woman's age,
A wise man never does.
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

Malleable means just that!...it can be 'moved' from it's cast shape, as yours has apparently done. Best method I have found is cold pressing in the hydraulic press, this way the amount of bending can be more easily controlled, rather by manually bending in a vice with a length of pipe over the leg.
Heating would be easier, but could/would anneal the stucture of the metal reducing its already feeble strength.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

snatchpiece

Post by snatchpiece »

I've done this using bars, tubes etc without heat. I've also had the stops and the feet built up with weld and the bike now sits properly on its stand, and is so easy to get off. I fitted the return spring using Laxy's jubilee clip method and the small ring spanner method together, couldn't be easier.
A clever man can guess a woman's age,
A wise man never does.