Centre panel 1956 G80

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
brian laud

Centre panel 1956 G80

Post by brian laud »

I am in the process of reassembling a 1956 G80. Having fitted oil tank and toolbx/ battery carrier I find that screws ( bought from JSL) are about 1/2" too short when I try to fit centre panel ( behind carb) Its as if oil tank and tool box are too far forwrd but they cannot go back any further as they fit snugly into the rear frame loop. I know there were several differences on the 56 model. Is this another one I wasn't aware of? Tank and tool box were not bought with bike but are correct for that year ie flat sides, no ribs. thread length on retaining screws is 1/2".

Suggestions appreciated
TommoT

Centre panel 1956 G80

Post by TommoT »

I have a 1956 G80S and the panel is fitted with the screws you mention. So maybe you have the wrong version of the frame cover? I believe there were different versions, since it was used up to 1963 where the new toolboxes and oil tanks were introduced. On my cover the screws sit in shallow recesses (don't know if that makes sense!) which means that the surface of the cover is closer to the frame studs, just around the screws. I can take a picture later if need be, a picture will show this much more clearly.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
56G80S

Centre panel 1956 G80

Post by 56G80S »

I lost mine (long story but fit those funny lock washer thingies) and got a replacement from AMC Classic Spares and it fitted fine, but is just as Tommo describes and I think that he has the answer.

I did have to "re-profile" the curve at top and bottom a bit, but it was clearly the right item. The extra spring in the cover took a fair bit of pressure to overcome nonetheless.

Good luck.

Johnny B
mike.dowling

Centre panel 1956 G80

Post by mike.dowling »

Hi
If this helps, if you look in this months Jampot on ITMAS page it shows a picture of the central area of the frame and it clearly shows a spacer in there. Maybe thats what you're missing?
Regards
Mike d.
MikeM.

Centre panel 1956 G80

Post by MikeM. »

Neither my 1959 nor 1960 frames have spacers between the cover and frame, both are for twins but I wouldn't have thought there would have been any differance here with twins and singles. Of course the early slab tank and toolbox frames may have been differant. Over to you Ken I am sure Mike would welcome your comments.
brian laud

Centre panel 1956 G80

Post by brian laud »

Thanks for your help. I don't think there should be spacers in the assy but if there was it would not solve my initial problem that the standard retaining screws are not long enough. Can't finfd any info anywhere else regarding year differences between centre panels. i have 2 panels from indeterminate years and both the same. Solution to problem maybe to use toolbox cover retaining screws .They are same thread but twice as long so they will reach.

MikeM.

Centre panel 1956 G80

Post by MikeM. »

Sorry Brian for some reason I thought Miked wrote the query, with regards the screws they are the same sort as the toolbox, about three quarters of an inch long and without the taper lead.