clutch steel plates

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
54model20

clutch steel plates

Post by 54model20 »

i have just taken clutch to bits with intention of fitting new plates the new ones i have are slightly thinner than the ones fitted would it be ok to use these or should i try to get hold of thicker ones the bike is a 1954 model 20 with burman gearbox
54model20

clutch steel plates

Post by 54model20 »

just read the original manual for bike it states 5 friction plates and 6 plain plates the clutch i have taken out contains 4 friction and 5 plain plates any advice gratefully accepted as im not the worlds greatest mechanic!!!!
itma

clutch steel plates

Post by itma »

measure the depth of the clutch drum its just possible it may have been replaced with a 350 single one.

can't find a reference to the depth yet but some one will know; ifits correct drum just add one plain one friction, you may have to worry about clutch pushrod length.
54model20

clutch steel plates

Post by 54model20 »

took the plunge fitted the new plates 5 friction and 6 plain plain plates being slightly thinner than the 5 old ones took her for a little run up the road all gears select ok and no slip first job ive ever done on the bike and feeling very proud of myself thanks to anyone who replies and thanks to metal mickey for his help
GOLDSTAR

clutch steel plates

Post by GOLDSTAR »

most satisfying ai'nt it? kind regards