swing arm

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin

swing arm

Post by 1608 »

Is it correct that my 18CS 1958 is lubricated with grease, as a grease nipple is apparent.But, my G12 1960 is lubed with a heavy oil, as the book suggests and instead of a grease nipple there is a bolt.Why are they different and what keeps the oil in as I can't see any oil seal illustrated.Can I presume that oil is filled to the level on the filler 'bolt'.
Thanks
John

Sould have stated that I refer to the swinging arm joint.Edited by - 1608 on 30 Mar 2010 3:13:30 PM
GOLDSTAR

swing arm

Post by GOLDSTAR »

John,I think the bronze type bush in the pivot is an oilite type and the steel pin is hollow with drillings through it to allow oil into the oilite bush, the hollow part of the pin is a reservoir for oil and should be kept topped up that little removable screw is the filler orifice, the caps at each end have a small gasket type washer and a felt seal should be between the pivot and the bottom of the seat tube, well it is in mine anyway, ca'nt comment on the grease type, kind regards

swing arm

Post by 1608 »

Thanks Richard,I'll go top it up now.Perhaps the 18 should also be oil filled and someone has just fitted a grease nipple.
itma

swing arm

Post by itma »

All AMC swinging arms are oil lubricated.
use 140 grade oil and I find it easiest to warm it and squirt it in with a syringe.
I have a plastic one ex-vetinary use, off the farm, which does the job well
filler hole should be at 3 o/c

Its common to find grease nipples fitted buy the ignorant, lets hope its not full of grease.
SPRIDDLER

swing arm

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Thanks Richard,I'll go top it up now.Perhaps the 18 should also be oil filled and someone has just fitted a grease nipple.

(Ahem)
...The ...ah,... swing arm, ah,... should have, err... oil...ah,... umm,... but I find a bit o' grease just before the MOT reduces a bit of,...umm, what shall I say... 'excess running clearance'?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
itma

swing arm

Post by itma »

no wonder you are always riding into hedges when you should turn left
Merlin

swing arm

Post by Merlin »

Good to see nothing changes itma
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

swing arm

Post by itma »

I need to get out more thats all............
GOLDSTAR

swing arm

Post by GOLDSTAR »

think I may have mentioned it before but when I reassembled my swing arm I turned a piece of stainless steel to size then before fitting used a wipe of Wynns friction proofing on the bushes, I also made up and fitted a cotter pin so as to stop the pin turning in the lower holding should it feel inclined to do so as per later models, neeed'nt have really bothered though have two replacements now
kind regards
GOLDSTAR

swing arm

Post by GOLDSTAR »

more from me sorry, just to mention [mobium disolphide] incorrectly spelt I know, I use as grease for other other moving part if grease is the correct lubricant, it can be obtained from car accessory shops in £1 sachets its used in the constant velocity joints, wipe of Wynns then this gear on the steering bearings luverly smooth steering should last as long as me sorry if I preach to the more knowledgable. kind regards